In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Thompson Contender

capnrmcapnrm Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hello, i bought a very
early 1st gen contender,
sweet gun, engraving, nice
grips but the trigger is frozen,
won't even wiggle.All else works
did bubba get
a hold of this pistol?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    [/size=3Hello,

I just purchased a old Model Contender by TC, it is after 195,000 serial#. It is very stiff opening up this gun,does anyone have any thoughts about loosening this up ?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,

Can anyone explain the difference between Contender & g2 Contender ?

Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know when S/N 3066xx would have been mfg. Thanks JC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thompson makes a barrell that fires 410 shotshells and 45 Colt. A 454 also fires 45 Colt. Does this indicate that a Thompson barrell will also fire the 454?

JC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any one know where to get a schematic on the old style contender? This frame has been to the factory without any fixing the problem. I seem to have problems explaing to the young lady that when the hammer falls it does not hit the firing pin. hammer needs to fall 1/16 inch more to hit firing pin. Repair list that was returned stated firing pin replaced and checked ok. It does not check ok in Alabama. Anyone have suggestion of the problem. JC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok i know this is a beaten dead horse but I have a [?][?][?]
    about the how the fram is register I am looking at a 223 that is a rifle and will be wanting to change it over to a pistol from time to time I emailed the dealer and asked how it was reg. and he emailed me
    that with a form 4473 the FFL can check Rifle or Handgun.
    is this so or does it need to be register as a pistol from tc[?][?]
    thanks
    Taz
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ran into a guy that says he gas one in 454 casull. I can't find that in my blue book. Is he blowing smoke? If not, anyone know what it might be worth in like-new condition?

Thanks,

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought a Thompson Contender G2 pistol.My question is will the front hand guard fit the 10" and 12" barell or do I need to purchase one for each barell?I also would like to scope a couple of barells for it.Do the barells come pre drilled for scope.This is my 1st contender so I could use any info on it.I am going to go with the 12" and 14" barells only.Thanks for any info. Al[?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My dad gave me this good looking pistol with a 357 barrel and the leopold scope. Sure is pretty. Not a scratch on it. How would you you rate the quality of this firearm? I'd never sell it, but is it worth anything?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The early ones were hard to open. A good gunsmith should be able to polish everything and get it better.
    The first one I had,I had to use both hands to open it[xx(]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Dick !!!!
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can send it in to T/C and they can convert it to the easier opening model. They will probably replace all your springs for you too.
    JM
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on bgjohn,
    Especially if you have the older 1 pc. (i.e. not split) locking bolt. Makes a world of difference. Operating is easier/smoother and lock up more secure. Do it.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Good Morning Skipper: I just came online and just happened to Have a Book laying here on the Desk that You need a Copy of...I don't have a spare copy, but, do have the Title and Address of the Author and Publisher...
    The Thompson/Center
    Contender Pistol...
    How to to Tune, Time, Load, and Shoot for Accuracy...
    by CHARLES STEPHENS
    Published by Paladin Press...
    Its a small but comprehensive Book with Photos and Diagrams for the Serious Contender Shooter......Best......
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could get one of these - they really do work:
    http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=43

As mentioned, you can get the easy open work done by T/C and it does make quite a difference. But they will make your internals "factory stock" and I just prefer that not be done to mine after years of the parts wearing in together. I have other more modern T/Cs that I shoot more often, I guess I just prefer to keep the oldie as is.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Springs get weak and eventually break. Especially the hammer spring. They will rebuild it like new. It is worth it to me. The old model (J trigger) is not as desirable as the next (easy open) model.
    JM