In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Another Ortgies Question

MarkusMarkus Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
edited March 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys! I 'kinda collect Ortgies pistols and, last month, I asked a question about nazi waffenmarks on one of my Ortgies. Somebody said they were probably faked, and that very well could be. But now, I have another one with odd markings, and I was wondering if you all could take a look and see what you can make of them. This gun came straight out of an estate. I do know that, when the nazis came to power, they nationalised the arms and munitions plants and confiscated all weapons earmarked for export. I've looked everywhere for material on Ortgies arsenal markings and, so far, have come up with "zilch"! Anybody care to take a look and see? Thanks[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your photos aren't visible.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know, I'm trying. I'm so computer illiterate!![img][/img]2005955122641898367_th.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now I lost the hosting website where the photos were stored. I HATE computers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let's try this.[img][/img]2004281405058921434_th.jpg[img][/img]2004230905763282843_th.jpg2004285808894585405_th.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to the web-site, with the photos.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2004281405058921434

To me the markings on your Ortgies look phoney as hell. Ortgies was out of business by the early 30's. This was years before the nazis started putting their markings on pistols. The "Eagle N" proof marking didn't supersede the "Crown N" proof until late in 1939, very unlikely that both would be on a pistol made probably 10 years earlier.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I agree with Rufe. The only markings on mine is the crown over N proof mark.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, do you think there were Ortgies marked for export that sat in nazi warehouses until they got around to looking them over? Many Ortgies pistols were sent to the south american armed forces. What is the 2 crooked lines in the box marking?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, I was reading some on the Ortgies and, although the gun's manufacture stopped in the mid 1920's, the pistols were sold through the late 1930's. Also, the Ortgies were also contracted to be sold to other countries [CZ, Portugal, etc.] Also, many american ortgies were re-imported to germany in the 1930's. If I can only find what mark that is on mine, maybe I can shed new light on other people's ortgies. Thanks
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I agree Nazi marking on Ortgies are likely to be fakes, I have to wonder why anyone would put counterfeit markings on an Ortgies, though I have one someone put ivory stocks on.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    These phony markings go back 40 years, at least. This is when Col. Whittington published his first book on German Pistols & Holsters. As soon as the book became known to collectors, they attempted to acquire all the pistols that Whittington noted.

The crooks and wise guys saw how much money was being made off this stuff, they started cranking out their crap as fast as they could.

The Ortgies in question, is a perfect example of this. It's such a phony turd with all the screwed up, mismatched, amateurish marking and workmanship, it's a joke. My 2?.