In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stainless steel 94

HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
Did Winchester put stainless barrels on post-80s 94 Winchesters at any time ?
Friend called me from Georgia..expecting me to know. Says he has one in his hands...wants to know the value of it.

I cannot find any reference to such in my books...

Comments

• duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Winchester. Don't think so.
  • CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a commemorative rifle?
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Not a commemorative.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Did Winchester put stainless barrels on post-80s 94 Winchesters at any time ?
    Friend called me from Georgia..expecting me to know. Says he has one in his hands...wants to know the value of it.

I cannot find any reference to such in my books...

To answer your question, Yes, WINCHESTER did indeed make a few Model 94 Carbines with stainless steel barrels... back in the 1927 - 1931 timeframe.

Now in reference to post-1981 Model 94 production, I do not know if the U.S. Repeating Arms Co. (U.S.R.A.Co.) made any of them with a stainless steel barrel, but it would not surprise me if they did.
    edited November -1
    Was aware of the late twenties stainless..they were iron coated and blued (I think)
    Pardom me for the 'Winchester'..fell into the careless trap.

Do you think the stainless would be worth much if any more then a good blued model ?
  • cussedemguncussedemgun Member Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    highball,

I have seen "electroless nickel" finished angle eject M94's.

Could this be the finish on the barrel?

EDIT: The nickel guns I've seen (one I owned in 356W & a friend's
    307W were both a matt type finish.)

Looked like the object was to appear stainless. The one I had did not wear very well, finish seemed to be quite thin. The other is a safe queen so it still looks new.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    Was aware of the late twenties stainless..they were iron coated and blued (I think)
    Pardom me for the 'Winchester'..fell into the careless trap.

Do you think the stainless would be worth much if any more then a good blued model ?

Actually, the early stainless barrels had a "japanned" type finish (painted or dipped in a black enamel).

To answer your question... probably not. The U.S.R.A.Co. production Model 94s are not collectable (yet), and most of them tend to be in the same price range.
    edited November -1
    Bert H..thanks for the information.

Pretty much as I surmised. Were one to put it in the safe for 20 years, it might actually bring what someone had to pay for it new.

Description was it being somewhat a 'matte' finish..so pretty sure wasn't Nickel.