In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bullet-Proof Vests/Armour Legal?

Lanark SixgunnerLanark Sixgunner Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
Are bullet-proof vests, armour, etc. Legal in the US? And on a side note, what about firearms silencer?

Best

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Federal law on SILENCER you have to pay $200.00 plus have in your control at all times CAN"T loan to your buddy and you must get permission to carry out of your home state. State and local law may or may not allow you to own. Each state has it's own laws .
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some states/localities restrict possession of body armor.

Neal
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, the term SILENCER and BULLET PROOF VEST are misleading- it is really a suppressor- it REDUCES sound, but how much depends on the weapon, caliber, etc etc. And NOTHING in this world is bullet proof. Body armor is designed to defeat certain levels of energy- armor made to protect against 9mm will only slow down a 30-06 rifle bullet as it passes all the way thru front and back. Some states limit ownership, and some have increased penalties for committing a crime while wearing body armor. Same thing for "bulletproof glass". If the bullet is big enuff, it ain't.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't have to fill out the Form 5220 to transport a suppressor across state lines.
    You do for MGs and DDs.

CP
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Legal, yes in most places to both questions. There are exceptions. Suppressors are subject to the NFA registration process, body armor is not registered

However, committing a felony while wearing body armor is also a felony in Florida. So, if you decide to rob a convenience store with a firearm dressed in body armor, there is a good chance you will be a guest of the Division of Corrections for a good while. Other states may have different rules
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lanark Sixgunner
    Are bullet-proof vests, armour, etc. Legal in the US? And on a side note, what about firearms silencer?

Best

I believe body armor is legal in all 50 states, though use of such armor in the commission of a crime may ITSELF be a crime in certain jurisdictions.

In the State of CA (at least) it is illegal for convicted felons to wear body armor.

The rap star "ODB" (since deceased of cocaine overdose) "Old Dirty Bas-tard" of the "Wu Tang Clan" was one of the first individuals prosecuted under the CA law against body armor.

To my mind banning body armor is like banning seat belts. Its an asinine over-reach of gov't.

By all accounts,ODB may have been a paranoid drug-addled lunatic, but he probably *DID* legitimately have reason to believe he could be shot or injured. If you want to criminalize the use of body armor in committing crimes, that's a different matter, but I digress.

"Silencers" (eg suppressors) are legal in SOME (but not all) US States, but require Federal licensing and special paperwork, and are not trivial to obtain.
  • vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just got a suppessor and am wondering if it was worth it. started the paper work in Dec. 07 and finally got it mid Mar. also not mentioned is you need a class 3 ffl holder (i think that was the requirment)it makes a .22 long rifle quieter but not what i expected. haven't tried sub sonic ammo yet. a friend bought one for his AR and with the supessor it sounds like a .22 long rifle. you still want hearing protection on when it is fired. also my name is on a list somewhere now and i'm not overly curious as to what that may bring my way. if i had to do it again, with what i know now, i would decline that route.
  • civiliansoldierciviliansoldier Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why do the "silencer" thing when a soda bottle works pretty well and is disposable?
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by civiliansoldier
    Why do the "silencer" thing when a soda bottle works pretty well and is disposable?

Well for starters because that is a NFA violation for each time you use it. NFA violations carry 20 year $250,000 fine.

Second is that real suppressors are fun. I have one and got the call on my other one today. Using subsonic ammo my bolt action .22 rifle is pretty much dry firing quite with. It is super accurate too.
  • RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High velocity bullets break the sound barrier so you will have a sonic "crack", the suppressor will not help with that noise, A quality dry or wet suppressor will eliminate most of the noise attributable to the explosion noise. I have a supressed Ruger 10/22 and using standard velocity ammo or sub sonic ammo all the shooter hears is the bolt cycle.