In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Stumper????? What is it?

codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
Here we go. A friend's grandfather carried this around for years trying to find the slide and barrel. What I know-

It's marked .35 Cal, but a .25 bullet fits the mag perfectly. The machining is rough indicating something low end. The mag release is european style (back of the mag well)or early US. The grips are bakelite.
Pictures-As I know you'll ask...
Picture104.jpg

Picture094.jpg

Picture093.jpg

Picture121.jpg

Picture123.jpg

There are no other markings on the piece.I told him you guys would probably have an answer by morning.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Proof Marks on the frame are Spanish, dating to 1929.

Post the pictures to this forum.

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

The moderator is a expert on Spanish handguns, he might be able to identify the manufacturer and model from the trade mark/logo, on the grips.
  • Options
    luv_the_huskersluv_the_huskers Member Posts: 277 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about 6.35 cal...25 acp
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    circle p is proof for Eibar 1929 spanish, proof for semiautomatic pistols.this comes from the blue book
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    It's probably not marked .35 caliber, but rather, 6.35 mmm.....same as .25 ACP.

Looks like a Spanish "Ruby" type to me.
  • Options
    m.j.ryanm.j.ryan Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is definitely a Spanish "Ruby". I had a bunch of these when I started gunsmithing and got quite familiar with them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any ideas on value or parts availability?
  • Options
    trees4trees4 Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am SO happy that some other people here mentioned the 6.35 cal marking.

Yes, this IS an "Eibar" type gun, sometimes called a "Ruby" type, except the Ruby is most often a .32 ACP or 7.65mm weapon.

I am not immediately familiar with the grip markings, but this is apparently a post-war (WWI) version, as the proof-marks suggest.
    By the way, the grips might be Horn, not Bakelite.

To answer your initial questions about value and availability of parts, here you go: Not worth more than $150 if it was complete.
    Parts are almost impossible to find, especially by the same manufacturer. These type pistols were built by dozens of different small shops in Northern Spain for 30 years or so, and none were of really exceptional quality. Some may have been made from old Train Rails, the quality of metal was so poor.

Keep it as a paperweight, a conversation piece, or sell it to a collector (there are some guys who love these things).

I myself recently found a similar pistol in pieces in the back room of a friend's gun range, took it home, and am actually trying to get it running again. Madness. Enjoy! [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I would actually love to get it running for him (his wife actually) as it has some sentimental value to her.