In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1935 Chilean Mauser

scotdscotd Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited April 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1935 Chilean mauser 98 carbine 7X57(short barrel w/turned down bolt) ser #26 all matching down to the cleaning rod. The action is nice and tight and absolutly butter smooth. I was going to build a 280 out of it and would like any information as to value. The only question I have is does the rifle have any real value. Would I be better off selling the rifle and using the funds for a new build w/another action? As for condition, headspace is good as is bore and is really in good shape (no cracks,splits,gouges,scratches etc.)

Any help appreciated

Scot

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Please don't modify this rifle sell it and buy another rifle IT DOES have value as it is sell on this site and remember the better the quality of pictures the more it will bring.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If all original such a gun would bring at least $300, perhaps $500- again we'd have to see pics.
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1935 FN Peruvians sell for more like $500+, and collector firearms asks a lot more for theirs. I think yours may be similar. Is the crest in good shape, or is it ground off?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are some pictures.DSC00965.jpgDSC00961.jpgDSC00959.jpgDSC00955.jpgDSC00950.jpgDSC00947.jpgDSC00946.jpgDSC00945.jpg
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great photos!
    That little jewel is in great condition. It would be a shame to sporterize it. I bet it is worth some money.
  • Options
    TexraidTexraid Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I realize it's your to do as you see fit, but PLEASE do not modify this rifle. If you must have a 280 sell it and use the money to buy one. Just my .02
  • Options
    swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything has value. It is just a matter of how much. Are there import marks on it? Such as on the barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, no import marks. From what I've heard,read ect. I think I will just put it up for sale with a high reserve and see what happens.

Scot
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    scotd,

You have an excellent rifle for collectors there. As noted by Perry, if you are going to build a .280 on a Mauser action that is a good idea. It is a VERY BAD idea to build it on that action! The last time I looked that rifle/action in collectable condition brought a lot of money! If you want, hang on to it and enjoy the 7mm Mauser in that rifle. If you need the funds from it to help in building you a .280 then sell it for the funds. If you modify the rifle from what it is you will be costing yourself a TON of money by ruining the collector value of the rifle.
  • Options
    pipes6pipes6 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    scotd, these are some of the very best military mausers made (I also have one) about 5000 ofthem were imported to the US. You will find a discreet import mark on the bottom of the barrel behind the sight. prices for these are all over the place but definitly rising, check gunboards and parralax for some relatively recent discussions. There was some speculation that high end may approach 1k$, it would in my opinion be a shame to sporterize this whe there are many other less rare mauser out there. regards graham