In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question on 6.5X55 AMMO

nyctreemannyctreeman Member Posts: 140 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have several boxes of 6.5 X 55 ammo, some old, and some new.
one box says "swedish" the others don't.
The casings are all identical, but the bullets on the older rounds are a tiny bit longer than the newer ones.

Is this all the same ammo? and what guns would use it?

thanks much [:D]

OH yeah, one more thing, the old rounds head stamp is:
VI46 48 HA
anyone know what that is?

Comments

• Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5x55 for the 1894 and 1896 used a 156gr bullet, later models used a 139gr bullet.
    I've used both in my M38 with good results.
    I can't answer your other questions now, too busy drinking beer.[:D]
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 6.5mmx55mm was the standard military cartridge of Sweden and several of their neighbors up until the NATO period. I'm not sure if they switch over then or not, but it is beside the point. Just like the the 7mm Mauser is also the 7mmx57mm so is the 6.5mmx55mm the 6.5mm Swede. This is a classic cartridge that is used in Sweden for everything up to and including Moose. The early military loadings used bullets that were heavier and longer then many sporting loads today and that it probably explains what you are seeing when you compare the cartridges together. As to what rifles shoot it, well any of the "Swedish" Mausers shoot it and there have been runs by Remington, Ruger and other companies in their various sporting rifles over the years for that cartridge as well. The best answer might be for you to nip over to the auction side of this forum and do a search for 'rifles' & '6.5x55' and see what comes up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much for your help, both of you!

Sorry about the interuption of beer drinking! [:0][:D]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,368 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My book Neutrality Through Marksmanship by Doug Bowser has one entire page devoted to your ammo.

WARNING!!!!

Do not shoot Danish manufactured 6.5 x55 mm military ammunition in a Swedish Mauser...There have been reports of several Swedish Mauser Rifles being blown up by this ammunition.

Here is the headstamp
    V146
    4 8
    HA

This looks like your ammo nyforester.
    I also have a photo of the box this Danish stuff comes in.
    I wish you would give the description, or better, a photo of the boxes and headstamps of both types of ammo so I can check them with my book.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    YUP, that's it![:0]
    thanks for the info, I will put it in my auction!
    it came in a plain brown box with old ink stamps of the caliber

I also have an old box of Globe ammo in this caliber with a little crown on each head stamp,

I am going to load a picture or 2 for you to look at (just a sec)[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here they are:

THIS IS THE SUSPECT BOX:
    2519497940_5c0b2a729e.jpg

THIS IS THE GLOBE BOX:
    2519497064_7981be3b8d_m.jpg

AND THIS IS THE HEADSTAMP OF THE GLOBE AMMO:
    2518679493_f24da1082b.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The box of the Danish ammo is different from the one in my book, but my book says the ammo was repackaged in 1956. My photo is of the new box. But the headstamp is the same so you do have the Danish ammo.
    This ammo was manufactured in Denmark at Haerens Ammunitionsarsenal [HA] in 1948. It is mercuric primed.

The ammo in the picture was manufactured in Sweden at the Karlsborg armory. The date of manufacture is on the headstamp, meaning that the round top left in the photo was manufactured in 1932. It is Swedish roundnose military ammo 156 grain.
    The box says it is soft point, if so it must have been reloaded because it is the cartridge case of the Swede military roundnose ammo.

Are you going to sell just the Danish ammo or are you going to sell all of it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I checked with my guys on the Swede forum, they say that my book is correct.
    They tell me that to fire even one round of this Danish ammo in any rifle is to risk blowing the barrel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm going to sell all of it together unless you think I should sell the old stuff separately.

The numbers on the Karlsbourg are all different, so that one that has the number "1" on it is from the teens?

Wow

Mercuric primed? That's not a shooter is it?! [:0]

Here's a link to my auctions:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/SellerAuctions.asp?User=1060928
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't know what the deal is with mercuric primers.
    Yes I noticed that one cartridge with the "1." Interesting that there is no corresponding number on the other side.
    I would assume it was from the 'teens, maybe it was made in 1910 and they just didn't bother putting on the zero.
    Where do you get this 70 year old ammo?

I don't know, you might as well sell it all together. I imagine that the Swedish stuff is shootable, but probably corrosive so I imagine someone would just buy it for a collection.
    You are going to warn them about the Danish stuff aren't you?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Absolutely I am going to give them your warning.
    I never take chances with ammo or guns.

The ammo came from a crate that was with all the New Old Stock ammo I am selling.
    (from a closed gun store)

I think I may separate the 2 old boxes for the collectors, and sell all the newer stuff as shootable ammo. I will link each auction to themselves.

Should have it all up in an hour or so.