In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shipping troubles

jmtlarson1jmtlarson1 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone have any advise on shipping? I have a gentlemen trying to ship me a long gun and he is having trouble.(I'm a dealer)I've only shipped out a time or two with no trouble,but I normally receive.Didn't know if it was just his area or the private person trying to ship. Any help would be greatful

Comments

• Options
    Wehrmacht_45Wehrmacht_45 Member Posts: 3,377
    edited November -1
    What is the issue? A long gun can be shipped by a normal citizen through USPS, Fed Ex, and UPS. Now some Fed Ex and UPS stores wont take guns, they have to shipped from a company shipping center. If he takes it to the post office he should be fine.
  • Options
    taperloctaperloc Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello jmtlarson,
    We;come to the form.
    Go to search on the "Ask the Expert" form and type - shippimg firearms - You will find many suggestions and good info.
    Taperloc
  • Options
    kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with fedex.As long as he has a copy of your FFL then there should be no problems.The only reason I suggest fedex is that they tear up the least amount of my shippments.The Postal Service has made a few rule changes but still only require the reciever have a FFL.If the clerk shows resistance ask to speak to a supervisor.I am fortunante to live in a two horse town and have them trained,in a big town I guess it can be tough.I hope this helps
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gunbroker maintains a page on shipping firearms. It should help some as well.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.asp?FAQID=1118&NoCount=1
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kumate
    Go with fedex.As long as he has a copy of your FFL then there should be no problems.The only reason I suggest fedex is that they tear up the least amount of my shippments.The Postal Service has made a few rule changes but still only require the reciever have a FFL.If the clerk shows resistance ask to speak to a supervisor.I am fortunante to live in a two horse town and have them trained,in a big town I guess it can be tough.I hope this helps

Whoa!! that caught me by surprise!! [item in red] Can you give a brief overview of the changes? Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    jmtlarson1jmtlarson1 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to one and all I"m in a small town as well and I Havn't had an issue (but havn't shipped alot either I've always messed with UPS and been fine.) He is near Chicago (enough said) and The local UPS is having a fit as he pushs back on the issue
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We can't help you if you don't tell us what the problem is!

UPS rules are simple, & are spelled out in their "tariff". If he wants to ship via UPS, he must ship from a company customer counter (not a UPS Store, not a Kinkos, not anywhere else). He must truthfully declare the contents of his package. Nothing on the package (including the addressee) can indicate that it contains a firearm. The clerk may ask for evidence it is going to an FFL, & he must supply it.

Neal
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jmtlarson1
    He is near Chicago (enough said)
    Not even close to.........(enough said) [:0]
    You haven't SAID anything, except he is having trouble.

Think I'll go have a "fit, and push back"
  • Options
    OregonvetOregonvet Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm the guy(non-FFL)that this is about. I do not have a Fed Ex shipper nearby. I chose to avoid the Post Office do to multiple past experiences with loss of items (ebay shipments). I tried a local pharmacy that ships UPS. They refused to ship my shotgun. Stated they would not accept it. Clerk & manager looked bewildered / frightened that I even ask to ship a firearm. I tried a local FFL holder who was uncertain how he could get UPS to pick it up for shipping. Attempted to ship from a UPS "hub" out of Rockford, IL and Rock Falls, IL, they refused. They stated they had to stop do to employees stealing the firearms??!! Phoned the UPS store in Dixon, IL. They refused. Owner stated her UPS franchise license prohibits her from accepting firearms. Finally found a gun shop owner who stated he would ship it UPS but had to charge me to put the shotgun in/out of his FFL records. GunBroker's own firearm shipping guide states "UPS does not allow shipment of firearms FROM a unlicensed person (even to an FFL), unless the stated reason for the firearm shipment is for repair or modification". The entire situation is very frustrating. I have been pleasant and professional with these entities and have no legal issues, etc. I would appreciate hearing from any non-FFL who has recently personally been successful shipping a firearm themselves in northern Illinois because I need a tutorial.
  • Options
    antique41antique41 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to the usual UPS/USPS problems in shipping guns, I now am finding that FFL dealers are refusing to accept shipments from non-FFL holders. Sold two of my pistols recently and both buyers had trouble finding a local FFL to accept delivery from a private individual. I indicated that I would include a signed and dated bill of sale along with a copy of my drivers license. As Pogo once said, "We have met the enemy, and he is us!"
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    So far as it goes, the post office does accept guns. I know you say you want to avoid them but they are the easiest option. In fact, they don't even ask what is inside unless you go the registered mail option. Even if they do ask just in conversation tell 'em it is golf clubs- but don't lie if you DO go registered mail and fill out the form.

Otherwise you hand over the gun and the money. That's it.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jonk, It is disappointing to see that you recommend a person lie about what is in the package.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use the USPS Priority with del confirmation and insure it.

CP
  • Options
    kc836kc836 Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ship the gun ups. go to the ups website, print a tracking slip for your package according to weight and size, pay for it online. then you can give it to any brown truck driver. or you can pay 10 bucks and have them pick it up from your residence,or place of business. i refuse to pay the 10 bucks. i put the package in my truck and when im out driving and see one, i give to him. no questions asked. simple and easy.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,719 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Herschel
    jonk, It is disappointing to see that you recommend a person lie about what is in the package.

+ If the receiveing clerk does ask you what is in the package that you are shipping then "declare" the contents as you know it to be. Most clerks know their regulations when it comes to shipping firearms, and there should be no problems if the legal requirements are met.
    What's next?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, at least we now understand the problem.

USPS is the best way to ship long guns. Jonk is correct, there is no need to declare the contents. You just have to answer the "4 questions" (Is it fragile?, Is it liquid", etc) truthfully, & they will accept it if it properly packaged. In the rare case where they DO question the contents, tell the truth; if they refuse, ask to see where in the DMM or PM it says they cannot accept a long gun from a nonlicensee. If they still refuse, ask to see a manager.

You learned the hard way that UPS only accepts firearms at their customer counter (or a regular scheduled pickup). Had you read their tariff, you would have known that. While their tariff allows a nonlicensee to ship a firearm that is not being repaired, that USED to be the rule. If an untrained employee doesn't know that, I see no problem lying to them & saying it is for repair....that's not illegal, as your shipment is within federal law. You MUST accurately declare the contents of your package. If they still refuse it, ASK TO SEE A MANAGER.

Yes, some dealers refuse to ship guns for nonlicensees; that is their business, & their right. But, those that do, have an absolute right to charge you for their services; like everyone else, they are trying to put food on the table. I don't work for free, either.

Neal
  • Options
    OregonvetOregonvet Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With all due respect to nmyers, this individual misconstrues several of the concepts I have mentioned. I am uncertain of the meaning of "customer counter" as I have approached UPS in every way that I am aware, e.g. storefront counter, shipping hubs counter, online, phone, etc. with no success. I have reviewed their firearms shipping regulations on their website and found that what they print there and what they do differ significantly. I have spoken to a store manager or owner in each listed interaction with no success despite a tactful delivery of my perception of the facts. I also have no problem with the FFL charging for his services. I paid the man his fee, appreciated the service, and told him as much. The suggestions to lie about the package contents seem unwise. Gunbroker's guidelines under "Shipment by Unlicensed Persons" states "You must inform the carrier that the package contains a firearm".