In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

wooden bullets?????

bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Got this info from a relative. I havent seen them yet. Her dad owned a old military rifle of some sort that I remember my dad and him shooting and looking at it nearly 50 years ago. Now family is cleaning out the house and found this old rifle and some shells with wooden bullets. I think I have read something bout them somewhere and saw them at a gun show or too but can anyone please tell me something about them and their purpose???? Thanx as always cause I know somebody knows and will pass on some info.

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Training ammo or "blank". I've got some Israeli 7.62 NATO training rounds with wooden bullets. There are some "adapters" that would fit on the muzzle and splinter the wooden bullets, don't think the Israelis used something like that though...
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are blanks.
    Some were noismakers, some were for grenade launching, bue either way they are blanks.
    I have wood bullet blanks in 6.5x53R Dutch, 30 Carbine, 30-40 Krag, 30-06, 8mm Mauser, 8mm x 60R Krupatschek and I've seen them in 8x50R & 8x56R cartridges.

I almost forgot, there are also some cartridges that used a hollow wood sabot to fire shot loads, I have a 22 Short, 38 S&W, 38 Long, 38-40, 45-70, 50 Carbine and 50-70 rounds in this configuration
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of them are hollow. I have several 45/70 shot cartridges that have hollow wooden sabots filled with birdshot.

Oops I see that was mentioned above.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    They were the creation of a Doktor van Helsing for a safari to Transylvania. [}:)]
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    P3- you failed to mention Helsing's untimely demise when his ammunition was attacked by termites. [:p]
  • Options
    team roper ozzyteam roper ozzy Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    termites made em hollow points..the beavers had a decent lunch,,anybody ever fire a silver bullet?[:D]
  • Options
    bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanx Guys for the info.
  • Options
    WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were rumors during WWll that the Japanese were using them in China to cause very sever wounds, in that they would splinter on entry to the body and cause multiple festering wounds internally.

For GOD and COUNTRY

Vet
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, would not want to get shot with one, and would have VERY limited range, however, if you are OUT of regular ammo, and wooden training/blank ammo is all you have left- you would use it. The mention I have seen of combat use of these has always been "right there at the end of things"- so use may not have been planned, but driven by shortages.
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner, I will have to differ with you on the wooden bullets being blanks. That they are not. They are deadly at short range. I have read battle accounts of the Japs using wooden bullets as last ditch measure. Tru blanks are crimped or have heavy piece of paper inserted in place of a bullet. I have also read of the heavy pieces of paper killing at close range. Memory fails but I believe there was an actor hit in the temple and killed. Tom
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know the Japs had them and there were stories about their deadliness but I believe they were blanks or training ammo.
    A G.I. in our training outfit killed another while horsing around with blanks from an M-1 rifle at close range.
    My kid brother put a wad of paper from a homemade 22 blank out of a blank pistol halfway into his hand.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    TC
    ANY blank is deadly at close range, however the INTENT is not as a combat round. The key work is INTENT.

The wood used is fairly soft/weak, and between the crushing of the rifling and the rotational forces the wood bullets would splinter (self distruct) in under 50 yards. The purpose of the wood is to act as both a "wad" and to make feeding of the blank round easier. Not exactly what anyone would consider as a military combat round.

In the spanish-americian war, the jacketed bullets used in the 43 Spanish Remington rifles would often tarnish. US troops believed that these tarnished bullets were "poisened", due to the color. Remember that "fact" when reading what troops believed the enemy was/would do. The stories are just that, stories.

Look in the top row, and you'll see a 30-40 Krag round with a wood bullet.
    Cartridges015.jpg
    How about a plastic 7.62NATO blank?
    Cartridges014.jpg
    8x50R Austrian Wood bullet blank (humm used in WW-1 trench warfare? I don't think so)
    Cartridges012.jpg
    How about a Soviet 5.49x39 plastic bullet blank?
    Cartridges010.jpg
    6.5 Dutch AND a 30 carbine with wood bullets? The Dutch bullet is purple and the carbine is green (the crimped carbine case is a Granade blank)
    Cartridges009.jpg

You still think that blanks are "only" crimped or paper wadded?
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tccox
    Tailgunner, I will have to differ with you on the wooden bullets being blanks. That they are not. They are deadly at short range. I have read battle accounts of the Japs using wooden bullets as last ditch measure. Tru blanks are crimped or have heavy piece of paper inserted in place of a bullet. I have also read of the heavy pieces of paper killing at close range. Memory fails but I believe there was an actor hit in the temple and killed. Tom

Tailgunner is correct about the Japanese wooden bullets being blanks. They were also used to launch grenades out of the Type 2 Rifle Grenade Launcher. The non-rifled Japanese training rifles also used them.