In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steel Cases?

craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have always been a wheel gun man but I just bought a Tauras 1911 just to see what all the excitement was about. My question is. Will the cheaper ammo with steel cases harm my pistol?
Thanks for any comments, Craig 25-06

Comments

• Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

No.

Steel cases have been in use in various military and civilian firearms for years with no damage to the firearm. There is no damage to the firearm because the steel used in the casing is much softer than the chromemoly steel used to make the rifle or pistol barrel.

What really wears the front of the chamber and barrel is gas and gunpowder particle erosion. This will wear out the firearm quicker than steel cases or bullets. Much of the world has exclusively used steel cases and bullets for decades because brass and copper were too strategically important for other purposes than ammunition.

The down side to steel cased ammunition is a tendency to fracture and shear in the chamber and of course they cannot be reloaded.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Heavyiron for the very informative and quick response.
    Craig 25-06
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If you read, I think the May issue of Shooting Times, you will find a article about reloading steel case 45acp.They are reloadable [;)]