In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Short barrelled SMLE No. 1 Mark III or Mark III*?

LanceLance Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
edited May 2008 in Ask the Experts
Several countries from the beginning of the twentieth century through the end of World War I equipped cavalry or artillery units with short barrelled versions of their standard infantry rifle.

Through the end of World War I only, was any SMLE No. 1 Mark III or Mark III* -- from Great Britain or any part of the British empire -- made as a short barrelled version? If there was, please identify it as precisely as you can.

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lance
    Several countries from the beginning of the twentieth century through the end of World War I equipped cavalry or artillery units with short barrelled versions of their standard infantry rifle.

Through the end of World War I only, was any SMLE No. 1 Mark III or Mark III* -- from Great Britain or any part of the British empire -- made as a short barrelled version? If there was, please identify it as precisely as you can.

Hi, Lance: givette here. I waited over eight hours to see if there would be a reply...and as I suspected there are none so far, as your question is too vague to garner a response.

We'll gladly answer specific questions about a rifle you may be concerned over, such as to its authenticity, etc. Do you have, or know of such a rifle you wish to have us help authenticate? If so, can you post a few photographs?

If it's simply general history of the variants of the SMLE series of rifles that you seek, I'm sure there are several good references available to you to enhance your knowledge base on this marque. If this is what you are after, get back to me and I'll see if I can steer you in the right direction. Best, Joe