In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Longterm gun storage

Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a collection of firearms that I have stored in gun vaults. I keep the area at 45% humidity. How often should they be taken out and oiled? Handguns are laying flat on the fabric surface. Should they be stored on something else or on stands. These range from 1st gen SAA to 1911s. What type of oil do I use on the metal and should I oil the Winchesters? 1894s, 1873s 1890s? I have accumuliated a couple hundred guns and would like to keep them in good condition. Thank you

Comments

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as you control the temperature & humidity, there's no need to worry about oiling guns. The problem with oil is that, over the years, it breaks down to form a sludge which requires solvent to remove; that's not damaging, it just requires work to make the guns serviceable again. And, if you repeatedly handle the guns to oil them, they will eventually start to show wear from that handling.

Not all fabrics are kind to guns. Olefin & cotton are usually the best choice. Personally, I keep guns in gun socks or Roberts gun boxes to protect them from dings in the safe.

Neal
  • Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ====
    There is a treated cloth that I use on my guns. I know they work well because of various items I've treated with it and how well they have withstood storage and exposure. Anyway, it works for me.

The cloth is called: Sentry Marine Tuf Cloth
    http://www.sentrysolutions.com/MarineTufCloth.shtml

Here's the blurb off their web site:

MARINE TUF-CLOTH: Regular Price $6.50 + shipping or 3 for $16.25 + shipping #91020

Like TUF-CLOTH but formulated with additional anti-corrosion ingredients to enhance protection against highly corrosive salWar on Terrorer and high humidity. Use MARINE TUF-CLOTH when your gear is faced with extreme conditions and long-term storage.

What is MARINE TUF-CLOTH?:
    The long-lasting lint-free replacement for oil and silicone rags. Sentry's formula of non-toxic dry film corrosion inhibitors and lubricants provides a fast-drying, water-displacing MICRO-BONDING CRYSTAL BARRIER against rust, friction and wear. The self-cleaning waterproof shield will not attract dirt and is dry to the touch. This revolutionary hardwearing cloth is packaged in a durable, airtight re-sealable pouch for long life. MARINE TUF-CLOTH is "second to none" protection against rust and oxidation for all types of metals- from tool steel to collectible silver and ornamental brass.

Sentry Solutions combines state-of-the-art dry film technology with a lint-free fabric to make MARINE TUF-CLOTH a superior, long-lasting product for both corrosion protection and lubrication in extreme conditions. Sentry developed a formula of dry film corrosion inhibitors and lubricants which bond to metals. MARINE TUF-CLOTH's enhanced formula is designed to provide exceptional corrosion protection in extreme conditions, such as jungle or rain forest use and salWar on Terrorer applications. This formula impregnates a very durable yet soft cloth for easy application. MARINE TUF-CLOTH should be used to protect all types of metals and finishes that are exposed to extreme conditions and salWar on Terrorer. Safe to use on wood and most types of plastic, you can use it with confidence on all of your gear- from knives and firearms to fishing gear, tools and even collectibles. MARINE TUF-CLOTH makes oil and silicone products obsolete.

HOW IT WORKS:
    Wiping with MARINE TUF-CLOTH gives you cleaning, rust protection and lubrication. Pure mineral spirits is the fast drying carrier for the active ingredients, so MARINE TUF-CLOTH cleans as it transfers the lubricants and protectants to all surfaces of your gear for 100% protection. It evaporates, and Sentry's proprietary ingredients bond to the surface; this bonding assures long-lasting effectiveness. MARINE TUF-CLOTH's waterproof protection will not wash off or thicken in the cold (even down to -40?F/-40?C). It is dry to the touch so will not attract dirt like oil-based products, nor does it leave a slippery film like silicone. It is safe to use on wood and most plastics.

MARINE TUF-CLOTH is user-adjustable; either by drying in air or adding pure mineral spirits. A "wetter" cloth applies a thicker shield of protection that dries more slowly. The excess can be buffed off after it is dry without compromising performance. Use MARINE TUF-CLOTH to protect equipment, firearms, boat parts, knives, wood and all metal components. It maintains its effectiveness even when it is wet with water, and it will not harm most plastics.

DIRECTIONS:
    If surfaces to be protected are very dirty, grimy or oily, best performance will be achieved if the surface is cleaned before using MARINE TUF-CLOTH. This helps bonding of the active ingredients and prevents contamination of your TUF-CLOTH.
    Clean surfaces well.
    Rub surfaces firmly with MARINE TUF-CLOTH.
    Drying time depends on thickness of coating/dampness of cloth. If cloth dries out add TUF-GLIDE or pure odorless mineral spirits (not turpentine) to restore its original "feel". If item is exposed to salWar on Terrorer: rinse with fresh water, dry and re-wipe with MARINE TUF-CLOTH. Return cloth to its special vapor-barrier pouch and seal tightly for longer life.

USE FREQUENTLY IF ITEM IS EXPOSED TO SALWar on TerrorER, WEAR OR STORED OUTDOORS.
    For hard-to-reach areas use with Sentry's Solutions Award Winning TUF-GLIDE.
    Contains mineral spirits. Wash hands after using. Keep away from children.
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I use the Brownells Rust Proof #2 and wrap the handguns in gun wrap paper. Have had handguns stored this way for 30 years with excellent results. And I do not have humidity control in my safes.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rem oil w/teflon and maybe 1x /yr
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Johnsons paste wax on exertior metal and wood. Break Free Collector on interior parts. Smithsonian uses a special paste wax on metal. I like to go over every gun and re wax and run a n oiled patch through the bore once a year to be sure things are ok.
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have see a fiber tube which is inserted in the barrel to prevent rust there.