In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading

mibmib Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I just started reloading last night. I bought the lee anniversary kit and the problem i have is when i seat the round i seat it in too far. i dont know when to stop applying pressure to the lever. Can anyone help me out. BTW i'm reloading 45 acp

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have never reloaded, but am interested in doing so. I was given a RCBS Green Machine that has .357 dies in it. I have read a little about this machine and am confused. Is this machine set for only that caliber and can't be changed. If so is it worth anything if I sell it to get other reloader?

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can any of the experts recommend a good reloading setup for a reasonable amount of money? Best equipment for the buck, so to speak I'd like to reload mostly handgun ammunition.. ie: .45 long colt and ACP, and .30 Carbine.

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Best reloading equipment to buy? For rifles and pistols. What do I need to get started.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think I have made the decision to get on the reloading band wagon. I'm looking for someone in the nor cal---east of Sacramento area as a tutor. From walking me through the purchase of a dependable set up to educating me on the first run. I have lots of brass--38, 9mm 40, 45, 44, 223 243 308 and soon--44.40. I'm a tactile learner so hands on with a mentor is far more effective to me as opposed to just buying equipment and reading a book. Plus---meeting new people.

Thanks
    Bret
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hi again, i was just wondering what the proper reloading kit would be to a begginer at reloading? maybe someting strong but affordable

thanks again

andrew

one shot, one kill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    with all the ammo disappearing these days, I have made the decision to load my own. I have 9mm and .45 in hand gun calibers and am just looking to start with those for now. I found a Lee Pro 1000 (progressive type press) pretty cheap. Just need some advice on what else is needed. i.e... dies and such. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know where I can get Norma MRP powder?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know where I can get Norma MRP powder?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm considering reloading as an option to putting up with the high cost of ammo everywhere. I would like to start off with the least expensive re loader I can find that I guess would be a LEE-LOADER single stage press,I think. I want to load two calibers 308 Winchester and 45acp can someone please tell me about how much could I expect to spend on this start up venture,any help in this area would be much appreciated. Thanking you all in advance. tavarish
  • Options
    edited November -1
    if you go with lee buy their dies as the powder measure requiers a "expand the case mouth die" to work.IMG_0956.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Im looking to start loading my own bullets. Does anybody have any suggestions on machines, or a website that I can take a look at them?

Any help would be much appreciated.

- Parisi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello,
    My son just gave me a pair of handguns both ruger blackhawks. One is chambered in 30-357 mag the other is 32-357 mag. Does anyone have any data on either one. I have been able to find loading dies and forming dies for the 30-357. nothing more than that. NEED HELP.
    Thank you
    Lloyd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thinking of getting into reloading and was wondering what it would entail. What reloading manual would you suggest ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looking for loads for a 25-35 using 100gr. bullets. can not find anything in my old manuals. thanks. e-mail. lpede@infionline.net
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What type of dies will interchange with an RCBS Press? Or will any ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've been shooting for 20+ years but never have tried reloading. I am looking for advise about which type of equipment you recommend for a new reloader (I'll be starting off with 40 S&W). I would also appreciate a list of "need to have", and "nice to have" equipment. I've been doing a lot of reading and am leaning towards the Lee PRO 1000 progressive. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    does the ring on the bullet set the refrence point for seating or should not pay any attention to it? i am loading a 325 wsm and the coal is 2.860 when seating the hornady 150 grain sp bullet to set at length it is below the ring. 2.820 is in the ring. so do i make them short or seat below the ring for the correct length? having the same problem with seating my 270 wsm. seat to the ring is way below the coal. any info will be appreciated. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have some 7.5, 8's & #9 shot. Can I mix all these together to reload some AA's without any ill effects on patter,or reloader??? Thanks Tom.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm shopping around for a complete reloading kit. The calibers i'm gonna reload are 270 win, 7mm-08, 40 smith, 44 mag, and 45 acp. any help in suggesting a press that has the option of both rifle and pistol die capability and any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What's the best and fairly enexpensive way to get started reloading? It would most likely be one caliber: .45 ACP.-Marcus
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I realize this question is almost like asking what the best caliber is for hunting, but here goes: What would the average person need to get set up for reloading? I am looking for a hobby that would actually reduce the expense of my other hobbies. I need to know what to get to start out loading .45acp, .40s&w, .30/.30, and 30.06. I am really not concerned about shotgun shells. I appreciate any advise!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    cant find any 357 brass---can you load 38 special brass up to 357 specs ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have over 3,000 empty shell casings. About 2,000 of them are once fired factories. The rest were all reloaded at least once some twice. I have been told that they should not be reloaded more than once. Is this true? Or how many times can a caseing be used?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what are the pro and cons of neck sizing to fl ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am new to reloading. I have 100's of fired 30-06 brass. How hard would it be to cut them down to .308. I just bought a .308 and haven't done enough shootin yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, here's the deal. I've never reloaded or known anybody that reloaded. Now that I've bought an SKS I'd love to start reloading for it and my CZ 40P, and I have no idea where to start.
    My questions are these...
    1.) Is it worth it to reload 7.62x39 rounds? What about 40 S&W?

2.) What do I need to start, best value reloader, etc???

3.) What literature do you recommend???

4.) open to comments.......

Better to carry a pistol and not need it than need a pistol and not have it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have reloaded for my 270 for the past 25 yrs.Always used 150 and 130 hornadys.Have worked up loads for each that shoot to same point so there is no resighting when going from elk to whitetails.My brother has started shooting barnes x bullets and says the hornadys are old news and I was wondering if they are that great to be worth the effort of developing a new load.I think not but would like some expert input
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Where is the best and cheapest place online to order reloading components and accessories. Any help would be helpful.Besides www.midwayusa.com Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guy's, first off I would like to thank everyone for all the advice and comments you have made regarding my questions. I would like to get into reloading and recently saw an item on GB. The # is
    14479963. Is this a good purchase or are there better deals with dies out there. I dont know a damn thing about it so give me everything you've got.

Thanks

Larry
  • Options
    je2140je2140 Member Posts: 225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    FL sizing is usually necessary unless you are using a bolt action, because automatics and pumps like a completely resized case. Neck Sizing doesn't work your brass so it last longer.
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you've got to label all your boxed ammo as in "223 Remington for Ruger 77 only" because ammo neck sized in one gun may not fit in another gun. And if you sell a gun for which you have alot of neck sized ammo you may have to sell it with the gun, shoot it up before selling the gun or take it apart & reload again. I have quite a few 223s, 308s, 375s & 45/70s (and so on) and keeping everything straight can be a bit of a chore sometimes.
  • Options
    flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you only neck size make sure that the reloads are fired in the same bolt action gun as before or they may not chamber. Not only does it make your brass last longer, and save you more $$, it is also faster and easier than FL sizing. Depending on the type of neck die you may not even have to lube you brass.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    Neck sized cases will not fit in a chamber other than the one that fired the cases originally. So if you bought a bunch of cases and neck sized them they will not fit your rifle. My own feeling is that full length resizing is in most cases is too much. I've been 3/4 full length sizing for over 35 years and my reloads will fit any gun I've tried them in. I would suggest you play with your sizing die a bit sizing cases until they will easily slid into any chamber you try them in.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the bases have been pretty well covered, except to add the simple caveat that "this may or may not be true". As in, neck sized cases MAY not work in another rifle, but then again they might. Only way to know for sure is to try out in every rifle you use in that caliber.
    Whichever you do; neck, full length, or something in between, be sure to check for smooth chambering; especially if you will in the field and after game. A stuck case can mess up a good at the range as well, just not with the same sad consequences.