In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

suppressor noise levels

5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
How quiet are suppressors? I was reading about one that the designer claimed sounded like a BB gun. I find that hard to believe from a suppressed 45 ACP. I was wondering if people who really owned one would be willing to share what they own and how noisy or quiet it really is. I understand most of the noise is in front of the muzzle, true?

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I've had both .45 and .22 suppressors and they sound like CB caps. Being subsonic, a .45 is fairly quiet just out of a sixteen inch barrel without a suppressor. That's the key really, start with subsonic ammo that doesn't break the sound barrier and produce a sonic boom.
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i recently purchased one of the walther p-22's with the suppressor and was fairly disappointed with the sound reduction using high velocity ammo. i also tried sub-sonic ammo with little or no difference, even the cci cb's still make a pop sound. so i can't possibly see a 45 acp sound like a bb gun. there always could be a difference in the manufacturing of the suppressors but i'm not willing to throw the dice (and dough) on a different brand to find out. guess the ones on t.v. aren't excatly like the ones in the real world. good luck
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has a number of High end Suppessors and Have been with him when he has shot IMHO the one on a Ruger mark II makes less POP then my Target grade air pistol the closing of the bolt after the shot is more sound then the report of the shot.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well my Gemtech Outback 2 is fairly quiet on any of my semi auto guns be it pistol or rifle. In the rifles you HAVE to use subsonic ammo if you want decent results. In the pistols I did not notice enough difference between subsonic and standard ammo with one exception. The Agulia 40gr subsonic is quieter enough over standard ammo in the pistols to make it worth buying for me. The closest thing I can compare the noise to is something about like a cough.

Now that same suppressor on my 77/22 bolt gun has about the same noise as dry firing it. No that is not a typo, that is how quite it is. I use the Agulia 38gr subsonic in this gun.

I have a suppressed 9mm AR upper in transfer right now. I have only shot 3 rounds inside a small room at the shop to test it. At this point I would say that this suppressor is about as quiet as the .22 semi autos. I will have a further report when I actually get it, hopefully in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've heard a Glock pistol in 9mm with a suppressor using the subsonic ammo.

It wasn't absolutely silent, but it was pretty quiet. I could barely hear it with ear protection on, if that gives some clue. With ears off, it made somewhat of a pop, though not one immediately recognizeable as a gunshot.

I've heard what Nwcid has said with regards to .22s. If you have a good suppressor, a long barreled gun, and subsonic ammo, they are essentially silent. IE you hear NOTHING whatsoever, except the click of the firing pin and maybe a TINY "whoosh" out the barrel.

As above, the "trick" to getting the most effect from a suppressor is just to start with a round that is really quiet to begin with!

That means not only a subsonic round, but also a longer barrel.

Remember, all a silencer really does is act as an expansion chamber for the hot gases behind the round, cooling them, and slowing down their exit (which is what makes the "bang").

Via the same principle, all else being equal, the more volume there is in a barrel (ie the longer the barrel), the quieter the round is going to be when it exits because there is more space inside for the hot gases to expand in before leaving the gun.

With a .22, which has a very low powder charge and produces little gas to begin with, the effect is more pronounced.
  • Options
    SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=x_VoO_ChrTA

Glock 17 suppressed in the link above, pretty impressive.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SuburbanNoize

Sound recording equipment on video cameras and the like DO NOT accurately record the sound of gun shots. That is why Hollywood films use enhanced sounds.

Nice try though.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

Sound recording equipment on video cameras and the like DO NOT accurately record the sound of gun shots. That is why Hollywood films use enhanced sounds.

Nice try though.

Hollywood films use "enhanced" sounds because people aren't firing live ammunition on set!

Any quality microphone should capture the sound of a gunshot relatively accurately, though a handheld camcorder likely doesn't have a particularly good microphone, some audio quality has probably been lost in conversion to the You Tube video, and your computer speakers aren't likely to be able to accurately reproduce a gunshot signature anyway.

But this is all a little off the topic. Back on topic, you can expect a high quality silencer to lower the sound signature of a gun by about 20-30 decibels depending on type, caliber, etc That doesn't look like a lot but the decibel scale is logarithmic, so a 20 db decrease is actually a decrease in sound intensity of 100x.

Also adding water to the "can" can help decrease the sound further, in some models.

There is lots of information on this on the internet, if you just do a quick search. Some individual experiments here:

http://www.silencerresearch.com/lrm_m169_review.htm

http://www.silencerresearch.com/gemtech_trinity1.htm
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

Nice try though.

Then, How do they record those "enhanced" sounds?

Just Kidding.

I would think microphones would clip the upper end of noise "Crack" but should do the job on suppressed sounds from a pistol.

BTW I've never been impressed with Suppressors While they look cool, never though the need for quiet hunting... for me anyway.

Have Fun!
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    its all down to the quality manufacture & brand of the supressor/moderator/silencer.

some are superb ,some useless.

i have them on all my guns, & the diffrence is outstanding. but, there is no whisper !! unless its a 22 R/F .