In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

mec tec 45 conv.

usmcazusmcaz Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I would like some feed back (feelings) if this is a good unit to purchase or would I be better off looking for 45acp self loading rifle I think Marlin made one some time ago Thanks for ANY and ALL
info...Semper Fi 3 2 4

Comments

• BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one and sold several when they first came out. The 1911 ones work pretty well. I had no issues with mine. It was pretty accurate and a fun novelty. Mine ran great using McCormick 10rd mags as well as standard mags. They are well built. A couple of things to know. 1 you can't use your safety. 2 the bolt doesn't lock back on the last round. 3 If you are using a Para Ordnance or Clark type barrel (meaning a ramped barrel) you have to have a drop in ramp that costs extra. This piece is like the one they use for the Glock conversions and it is easy to lose. Once it is in place there is no problem but in between is what I am referring to. This was the case when I sold them and some things might have changed since then but I don't believe so.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one for a 1911. Bought the collapsible wire stock version and their add on sight rail. I use a 30mm cantilever scope mount and a Barska Electro SKS scope, mounted a flash light & laser sight up front. Shoots great and looks about like the most evil little carbine on the planet, the added sight rail makes the barrel look about 8" long.

I use a Para Ord 1911 so 14 or 15 rounds are the norm. It works well and when using a conventional 1911 frame you can use a ProMag 50 round drum. Haven't tried that set up yet though, would like to get a report on how well the ProMag works, I'm always suspect of those types of set ups.

The gun functions well with almost all power level of ammo. I use 230 grain FMJ only as this is not exactly a target gun. I did note that any change of ammo (230 to 185 or 200 jhp) really changes your point of impact. I kept my shooting to about 50 yards.
  • usmcazusmcaz Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you one and all I guess that I have to have more thoughts on this I was told that batfe has some ruling that one the configuration
    becomes a rifle then you can not change it back to a standard 1911 colt if this is true then I may forget about buying one---
    Semper Fi 3 2 4