In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert Re: 1892 Winchester 14" barrel

Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
Re: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=390325

Bert: I wasn't trying to be an alarmist regarding the short-barrelled Winchester. I got the impression that the querent was reluctant to send his carbine directly to ATF in fear of never seeing it again. If it was not issued in that configuration, that's a very strong probability as he will rely solely on ATF's opinion with no backup documentation. As he indicated his concern that it may have been cut, can't verify it through Cody, and neither you nor any expert has actually seen the gun or detailed pics, I was simply erring on the side of caution. If it isn't original and he takes it to the wrong people, he could theoretically cause himself some unwanted grief although innocent as to how he came by it. My advice to discuss this matter with an attorney was solely in protecting his family heirloom as placing my faith in the current administration is skeptical at best.

Comments

• Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    I've been following the prior post.

"send it to ATF, and you may not get it back"

Open question: If BBHC can't verify [how it left the factory], how so will ATF be able to verify? Check the muzzle for amateur crownwork? Flip a coin? Any and all insight welcome. Joe
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by givette
    I've been following the prior post.

"send it to ATF, and you may not get it back"

Open question: If BBHC can't verify [how it left the factory], how so will ATF be able to verify? Check the muzzle for amateur crownwork? Flip a coin? Any and all insight welcome. Joe

That was my concern as well.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hellow fellows,

In the past, the BATF would sometimes go to George Madis for an opinion. What they do today is anyone's guess. I do know that Rob Kassab (the current WACA president) has dealt with the BATF concerning short barreled Winchester rifles. It is possible that if this rifle was sent to Rob, and he writes a letter stating that it is original, that the BATF would use that as their basis for accepting it as original.

I do agree that it would stink to high heaven if this rifle was sent in to the BATF, and they rule that it is not factory original. This is a true catch-22 situation... without the BATF letter, the rifle is illegal, and nearly worthless. With the BATF letter, that rifle is potentially worth many thousands of $$$$$.

No matter what the current owner decides to do with it, their is some risk involved. Personally, I would recommend having it evaluated and appraised by a knowledgable Winchester collector, and then make the decision as to what to do with it from there.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    isnt it disgusting when we have to worry about something like this.

atf says "yep, we better get this highly dangerous weapon of the street before it hurts someone" my guess is most of them would be more than happy to melt it down for the original poster. i second spider on getting an attorney to watch out on this persons behalf.