In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

US Revolver Co 38?

yakkeryakker Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have inherited a US Revolver Co. 38 revolver. The serial number on the grip frame and trigger guard is C2813. I understand it may have been made by Iver Johnson Co. It is chromed (nickeled?) but some of that has come off around the cylinder. It has U.S. REVOLVER CO. MADE IN U.S.A. on top of the receiver. Barrel is about 2 inches. It has U.S. in a circle on the top of the black grips. It is a five shot. Overall length about 7 inches. Height about 4 inches. Not a break top. Hammer strikes primer.

Is this a 38 S&W? Can anyone tell me when this was made and what it is worth? Should I use this gun as a backup around the house, or put it on the shelf?

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have many of them in my collection of pre1899 and there abouts pistols.
    It is in .38SW. Don't try to use anything but a lite loaded .38SW shell in it. It is okay as a home back up piece, its better than just yelling at the thief in your bedroom, But remember it is about 110 years old.
    Back in its day, it finished many a disagreement amongst two people, but I wouldn't use it for Primary self defense. Sears sold their version
    for $1.10 in 1901 or $2.30 for it with Pearl handles. Iver J, Foreham&wardsworth, US revolver, and many other companies in the north east made a type of that gun. In nice shape, I have paid $65 to $140 for them. bob
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    the revolver C2813 was manufactured in 1917, 3,400 made that year.

U.S. REVOLVER CO. AUTOMATIC HAMMER
    1910-1935
    LARGE FRAME AND SMALL FRAME DOES NOT HAVE HAMMER THE HAMMER ACTION; This is a Brand name revolver manufactured by Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works to be sold through the wholesale trade. It was never listed in any Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works catalog, although it was listed in some European catalogs as original Iver Johnson products. Does not have Hammer the Hammer action and relies on a safety notch on the hammer. Hard rubber grip panels with U S at the top, large oversize two piece hard rubber grips were optional. Two frame sizes and three calibers were offered. Standard barrel length: small frame 3 inches, large frame 3 ? inches; Calibers: large frame 38 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, small frame .32 centerfire with 5 rounds cylinder capacity, .22 rimfire with 7 rounds cylinder capacity Weight: small frame .22 rimfire 12 ounces, small frame .32 centerfire 12 ? ounces, large frame .38 centerfire 17 _ ounces; Height: small frame 3 _ inches, large frame 3 7/8 inches; Frame length: small frame 4 3/16 inches, large frame 5 inches; Overall length: small frame with 3 inch barrel 6 3/8 inches, large frame with 3 ? inches 7 3/8 inches. Main serial number location on left side of grip frame grips must be removed to see.
    VALUE: 100%=$225 60%=$105

bill