In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Should I replace this Weatherby Scope?

TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a Weatherby rifle in .240 caliber. It has an old German variable powered Weatherby scope on it that has the crosshairs that move off-center when adjusted. I was thinking about replacing it with a newer Leupold variable. What is your opinion of these old Weatherby scopes? Thanks for any replies.
weatherby006.jpg
weatherby004.jpg

Comments

• Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.weatherbycollectors.com
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I've owned a couple, never thought much of them. they are useable but nothing special.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for MIKE WHISKEY'S response. I've had several and either got them on a Weatherby or bought them to put on a Weatherby. Eventually changed them out on the rifles I use. You might want to keep the Weatherby scope if you're keeping the rifle from a collector perspective as the Weatherby scope might enhance the overall value somewhat. The Weatherby Supreme scopes (made in AsiaPac somewhere; probably Japan) seemed better than the German Imperial models although some might argue about that I suppose. The rifle looks great; enjoy.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice rifle[:)]...put another scope on it and get that one repaired. A w'by just "looks" good with their scope on it..imo..nambu
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That early Weatherby scope does not have the constantly centered crosshairs that are found on more modern scopes. It is not in need of repair. Rifle scopes, like automobile tires and engines have been improved over the years.
  • Options
    stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TW:

That is a very nice 240. I can see that it has the checkered bolt, which is an attractive addition.

I have had a lefthand Mark V Deluxe in 240 since 1975, and it has been a great rifle. Hope you like yours.
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your replies. I think I will put either a Leupold 3-9x50 or a Pecar Berlin variable I own on this rifle for hunting, and keep the Weatherby scope in case I ever sell the rifle. The rifle is German made, like the scope, and it does make a nice outfit. However, I don't like non-centered crosshair and the parallex adjustment requires removing one of the caps on top.