In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifle condition description and scope questions

oldfedoldfed Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in Ask the Experts
Could anyone give me an idea of what I should expect from a modern firearm described as "in overall excellent condition"? Also, Does anyone know any hunter(s) who mounted Japanese made Bushnell "Banner", scopes on a .458 for use in Africa? Were these scopes steel or aluminum tubes? Finally, Is there a difference between a Pentax Gameseeker scope that has a Precision Plex Reticle and one that has a Penta-Plex Reticle?

Thanks in Advance!

Will

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    ""in overall excellent condition"? .......the rifle should be in 'almost' new condition with some small handling and wear marks. No way would I ever mount a bushnell banner on a .458.
  • Options
    USN_AirdaleUSN_Airdale Member Posts: 2,987
    edited November -1
    Bushnell "Banner", scopes are for .22LR rim fire rifles, i have one on my old Remington 550-1 auto loader and it works just fine

""in overall excellent condition"" to me would very similar to MW's description.., but without the wear marks, in other words i would say almost NIB !
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oldfed,

"Precision Plex Reticle (PP)

The Precision Plex reticle is based on the popular Ballistic Plex reticle and designed to compensate for bullet drop as the distance to your target increases. It adds a yardage estimation system to help determine that distance. (Available only in Gameseeker scopes.)

Penta-Plex Reticle (P)

Four heavy posts are easily seen in any light. Fine crosshairs in center allow for perfect shot placement."

The Banner line of Bushnell riflescopes has always been the lower end of pricing. This line encompassed rimfire, centerfire and shotgun scopes currently. I can't say for sure but I think they were always aluminum.

I'm sure that somewhere in the history of hunting Africa that some idiot mounted a Banner scope on .458 (Win. Mag.?) and took it to Africa. For the life of me, I couldn't or wouldn't be able to understand that decision. To spend what it costs to hunt Africa and then take the lowest end Bushnell scope and put it on a .458 WM defies any form of common sense. There is always the potential that someone got paid to take a rifle with a Banner scope to hunt in Africa for the sake of some advertising gimmick but I sure as heck would have had a much better backup scope real handy. Kind of like putting a Timex watch on boat motor...

Unless a firearm is stipulated as truly being 'New in the Box', every other category is up for grabs these days. Sellers will claim that their opinion is valid since it's just an opinion. There are no hard and fast rules establish for condition. Everyone has a sliding scale for quality and condition. What's excellent to someone selling might only be average to what I'm used to working with. Insist on a 3-day inspection period and communicate what you expect this firearm to be.

Best.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Nononsense said condition quotes are relative. I collect pre1899 revolvers, and What I accept as "very good" on them would be "poor" on a colt Python. I would also consider the gun's intended use....a mossberg 500 pump shot gun was made to hunt ducks in the wetlands...
    a Perazzi Trap shotgun was made to be taken out of a felt lined case.
    JMHO Bob