In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1901 and 1887 lever action shotguns

WinchesterChrisWinchesterChris Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a pair of these and I would really like to use them for some bird hunting. I shot these some when I was a youngster back in the 60's and 70's. Is there any modern ammo that I could get in either 10 or 12 gauge (1901 is 10g)that is suitable for old shotguns. I have several Model 12's also and have the same question on them.

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Model 1887 is strictly a blackpowder (or appropriate low pressure smokeless powder substitute) gun. In the 12 gauge version, it was chambered for a 2-5/8" shell, with the 10 gauge version being chambered for a 2-7/8" shell. Unless you make and load your own, there are no modern shotshells made for it.

The Model 1901 was also chambered for a 2-7/8" shell, but was designed for the low-pressure smokeless powder shells. Again, unless you make your own, there is not a readily available source of shells for it.

All Model 12s are capable of firing modern shells of the appropriate length. The only thing that should be avoided is shooting shells loaded with steel shot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you. I guess I was "rolling the dice" on these as a kid. I shot the 12g a few times, Never chambered the 10 and it looks pretty close to new! Looks like I will use model 12's. I also have a couple of 93s, and 97's, Seems like the side of one of the 93's is bulged from shooting a modern round. I don't shoot shotguns much. Once again thanks for the information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hello Chris,

You are quite welcome[:)].

I am conducting a research survey of the Models 1893 & 1897, and would like to know more about your guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me know what you need, photos, serial numbers? The 01 is the 10 gauge.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Bert,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but arn't model 87s in 12 gauge sort of rare?
    I sold an 87 12ga that had been refinished, with new after market wood, and reblued. Doing a little research befor listing it, I got the impresion they where less common than 10ga.
    thanks.
    W.D.
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How safe would smaller chamber inserts be? Say 410 or 20 ga. Eddie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Bert,
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but arn't model 87s in 12 gauge sort of rare?
    I sold an 87 12ga that had been refinished, with new after market wood, and reblued. Doing a little research befor listing it, I got the impresion they where less common than 10ga.
    thanks.
    W.D.

The Model 1887 is more common in 12-gauge than it is in 10-gauge. That said, there were on about 65,000 Model 1887s made.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by WinchesterChris
    Let me know what you need, photos, serial numbers? The 01 is the 10 gauge.

Thanks,

Photos, serial numbers, barrel lengths, choke, and butt plate type to start off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by legn4
    How safe would smaller chamber inserts be? Say 410 or 20 ga. Eddie

I do not know what the saftey factor is, but it would be much more involved than just chamber inserts (a barrel liner would also need to be installed). Additionally, I almost certain that you would end up with a single-shot gun, as I do not believe that you would be able to load and properly feed the undersized shells from the magazine and through the action.
  • Options
    legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bert I guess I should have said "cartridge adaptor".I picked up some years ago at a show. They are plastic 12ga size but only 2 1/2" long.The inside is the bore of a 410 w/metal sleeve. I have chambered 1 plus 2 in the mag of my 1887 works OK.You just dont get much pattern out of a 12ga with a 410 load lol.I havent seen any signs of damage. The adaptors would be great in older side/sides and a lot cheaper than the tube inserts.I also have 1 12ga adaptor for 22lr I think it is for fat bulls at point blank range lol.Eddie