In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

L1A1 lower receiver

edaledal Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am confused. Several years go I was given a bunch of L1A1 parts including a stock and what I gather to be the lower receiver. I am now listing them, but someone told me the lower receiver is technically a firearm and must be transfered to a dealer. Based on what I read (misread?) on the ATF site the upper receiver on the L1A1 is "the" receiver. Help!

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    On an FAL the lower receiver is NOT a firearm.
    On an FAL the upper receiver IS the firearm.

Different guns have different parts that are considered "the firearm" ie main serial numbered part. Who ever told you that has no clue and believes that just because the AR-15 is numbered on the lower that all guns are.
  • Options
    DRP-AZDRP-AZ Member Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What he said.

The part with the magazine well is the receiver.
  • Options
    edaledal Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So even though there is a serial number on the lower receiver it is not a firearm- correct?
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    In the case of the FAL that is correct. Just because there is a serial number does not mean that part "is" the firearm. Many guns have several parts with matching numbers. In the case of the FAL the upper is considered the firearm.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    if a barrel can be screw into the part.then it is the regulated part
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    "if a barrel can be screw into the part.then it is the regulated part"
    Many rifles have the receiver (regulated part) that doesn't have a barrel threaded boss. Statement too general.

"The part with the magazine well is the receiver"
    On this particular rifle, yes, since the magazine well is part of the upper (which is the receiver)

Sorry for nit-picking. Many people reading these boards, and my post is focusing on the casual (novice) reader. (If the original poster doesn't mind this, else I'll delete). Best, Joe