In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Restoring BLR after a Fire

hunter7198hunter7198 Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Recovered a number of guns from my Parents housefire and am beginning the restoration process on a Belgium built BLR in .308. Most of the damage was cosmetic, the only signs of excess temps were a minor blistering on the plastic barrel band and light bubbling on the forearm finish. The blueing didn't fare well due to the smoke and water. After a thorough cleaning, the chamber and bore are perfect and the bolt still had quite a bit of oil on the head so it doesn't appear to have experience high temps. I've test fired the rifle with 10 standard and 10 military loads on a remote fired rest with no malfunctions or signs of any problems. Other than the obvious issue of a nervous twitch when I finally work up the courage to fire it from the shoulder, I'm pretty confident it can be restored to a good shooter. The actual question is this....how can the front sight base be removed? I tapped out the sight blade and expected to see the normal mounting screw.....NOT. Little help needed from the pro's here, is it brazed to the barrel or attached otherwise?

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in the same fix.

Why do you want to take the front sight base off?
    If there is no screw, it was probably furnace brazed to the barrel. Taking it off will require a lot of localized heat right at the muzzle, which can't be good for the barrel.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were you I would have given some ideas of what you think you might like to do to your rifle, finish, stock, sights and any other ideas you might have for the refurbishing then let the experts let you know what they think positive or negative and give you suggestions. This is a nice rifle and you cannot go wrong restoring it.

Emmett