In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Taurus PT 24/7 Pro CDS .45

goAZcardsgoAZcards Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Can I buy a dot sight (red dot on target) for night shooting to mount on my firearm. I am using it for home protection only and would like to have it as a feature if woken up in middle of sleeping and having my eyes possibly not fully open and focused. Please don't give me personal opinions (especially bias). Just information. I would like to add it to my handgun if possible.
Again my firearm is a PT 24/7 Pro C DS .45
Your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated. Any other non-bias useful advice or helpful information would be of great help and appreciation.
Thank you.

Comments

• cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a sample, has both red laser and a green laser that can be seen in daylight, red can be very hard to see in the daylight.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=167118234
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Posted - 04/29/2010 : 12:43:26 AM Can I buy a dot sight (red dot on target) for night shooting to mount on my firearm. I am using it for home protection only and would like to have it as a feature if woken up in middle of sleeping and having my eyes possibly not fully open and focused. Please don't give me personal opinions (especially bias). Just information. I would like to add it to my handgun if possible.
    Again my firearm is a PT 24/7 Pro C DS .45
    Your knowledge and help is greatly appreciated. Any other non-bias useful advice or helpful information would be of great help and appreciation.
    Thank you.

Yes, illuminated red dot sights certainly do exist, and you could even conceivably mount one of them onto your Taurus handgun.

Ordinarily I'd explain to you why actually doing it would be a bad idea, but since you said you didn't want opinions or "bias", I'll let you figure it out by yourself.

If you're talking about laser sights that project a bright red laser dot onto the target, there are any number of them on the market that will fit relatively easily onto the short rail on the gun under the muzzle. For example:

http://www.lasermax.com/cat_info.php?id=10

Here's one on a Taurus:

ArmaLaser_RSS_A_Taurus.jpg

Edit: Since you asked for my opinions, I will share them:

First off all, its a little strange going to an "Ask the Experts" board looking for advice, but explicitly stating that you don't want to hear anyone biases or opinions. Would you go to your doctor with a question, but tell him you don't want his biases or opinions? Keep an open mind and you might learn something.

I think one of the best things about this board is that you get to hear a cross-section of opinions from mostly knowledgeable individuals with slightly different experiences and takes. If you hear an opinion you don't like (like the one below about swapping guns), you can simply ignore it.

That aside, in the first part of my response, I was talking about THIS type of illuminated red-dot or reflex type sight:

bwcat1bo9.jpg

These things are good for recreational and certain types of competitive pistol shooting.

The reasons you likely don't want one on your defensive handgun is because they can be bulky, a good solid mount may be costly and/or difficult to attach, they can interfere with operation of the gun or use of normal sights, and they can also make the gun difficult to holster and/or conceal. For defensive purposes, they work better on a rifle, in my opinion.

Again, in my opinion, a good solution for increasing sight visibility on a night-time gun is the one the cops and other pros use, which is to replace your standard sights with simple glowing tritium "night" sights. These aren't too expensive, they don't lose their zero, require no batteries, don't change the guns weight or balance, and let you use all of the guns normal accessories.

Lastly, since you said you were OK with my opinion, let me add the following.

I'm not a huge fan of lasers on guns, but I'll admit they have their uses. They're good for taking shots quickly at close range, without needing to use the sights. A laser can make it far easier to shoot accurately from the hip, ground, behind cover or some other unorthodox position. All by itself, the laser itself can be intimidating to a potential assailant (and I guess you could always try to shine it in the assailants eye!).

But if you wake up in the middle of the night, and as you put it "your eyes are not particularly open and focused", then laser or no laser, maybe its not such a good idea to be pointing a loaded gun at someone. If you're not focused enough to readily identify the target, you probably shouldn't be taking the shot.

If you think someone is going to jump you in your bed while you're sleeping, you're probably a lot better off spending your money on a better lock or doorknob alarm for your bedroom than a laser for your gun!

The reasons I don't much like lasers for defensive guns are as follows:

They are simply another part that can fail at the worst possible time, due to battery worn out from being accidentally left on or other reason, mechanical shock from recoil, a worn out switch, or other things. Lots of them won't hold a zero well (particularly not the inexpensive ones), and this becomes more problematic at the longer distances where you might appreciate aiming help from a laser the most. Many of the laser dots aren't bright enough to see the dot in bright daylight. If you become accustomed to shooting with a laser instead of the ordinary iron sights, you can have a problem if the laser fails.

Remember, by definition, when you are using your defensive gun, you believe your life in danger. You're likely scared, pumping adrenaline, you have tunnel vision, your hands are trembling, your heart is pounding, etc. This is the time when fine motor skills erode, and when problems happen. For this reason, I personally prefer the LEAST complicated systems possible for use under stress.

To me that means iron sights and double-action trigger (ie no external safety). Others opinions may differ, and that's fine.

I wouldn't say "don't" get a laser for your gun, but I would say make sure you are proficient in its use with iron sights before you rely on one!
  • goAZcardsgoAZcards Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    beantownshootah & cnsay,

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I donOt plan on putting much rounds down range with the laser dot mounted on. More-less just mounting it at home for the ready.

Bean,
    I would love to hear you out, because you have shown respect to my prior request about being bias. So please inform me thoughts about not doing so if you would like.

Again thanks to both of you.
    edited November -1
    Also; If I buy one (Laser Sight), Do I need to buy a Laser Bore Sighter Kit as well? even if I buy a Sightmark 45 ACP Pistol Bore Sight? In other words do I need to buy both? I hope you can understand the question I am trying to ask.

My firearm is strictly for home invasion.

I am a combat vet but was only issued the m16 and m4. Didn't have a side arm very often. And to be honest I am really not into this stuff.
    edited November -1
    melkor,
    Thanks for your input but I am happy with it so far. Put 100 rounds down range with absolutely no problems and got it for a good price. I am a college student with a very very small budget. So my options were limited.
    edited November -1
    beantownshootah,

Point taken. And thanks for your input. Everything you said makes a lot of sense. Thanks again.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goAZcards
    Also; If I buy one (Laser Sight), Do I need to buy a Laser Bore Sighter Kit as well? even if I buy a Sightmark 45 ACP Pistol Bore Sight? In other words do I need to buy both? I hope you can understand the question I am trying to ask.

My firearm is strictly for home invasion.

I am a combat vet but was only issued the m16 and m4. Didn't have a side arm very often. And to be honest I am really not into this stuff.

There is absolutely no need to buy a laser bore sighter to zero your pistol laser sight. Most people get away fine without one.

Personally, if I already had a bore sighting device (or was able to borrow one easily etc), sure, I'd use it.

If it was manufactured correctly, it can help you get that first shot "on paper". If you need to sight in a variety of guns in the same caliber quickly, a tool like that could be very helpful. Ditto if you're frequently changing sights (for whatever reason). But I wouldn't go out of my to buy or get one just to sight in one gun once.

On your second point, personally I'm not a big fan of Taurus guns in general, but so long as yours is reliable and you're comfortable shooting it, there is absolutely no reason why it couldn't do what you need it to do. IIRC the NRA gave yours "handgun of the year" for 2005. . .its FINE.

In my opinion, people obsess WAY too much about particular guns and loads, particularly when the practical differences between them are minimal. 90% of it is personal preference.

In any confrontation, ultimately, your tactics and proficiency with the gun are going to be **FAR** more important than which exact gun or load.

On home invasion, again, people obsess about guns, but if you are really afraid that its likely, you're going to be better off spending your money on better lights, locks, and (if feasible) an alarm system.