In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

My new Colt 38 Super? W/barrel pics

claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
Today I stopped by my local gun shop and found a Colt 38 Super that my dealer made me a (Deal you can't refuse) on. $600 out the door.
Well, it may not have been the deal of the century, but he's needing some quick cash and I thought I would help him out.
Now for some specifics. I know you guys are sticklers for pics so I have included some for your viewing.
First confusing thing is the magzine. The gun says Super 38 automatic, but the bottom of the mag says Colt .38 SPEC. When I first removed it from the gun, I thought someone had left a .22 conversion mag in it as it has the spring compressors on the sides. Not so as it is the size of a 38.
[img][/img]Colt38Super006_800x599.jpg
[imgColt38Super004_800x599.jpg][/img]
[imgColt38Super003_800x599.jpg][/img]
[img][/img]Colt38Super001_800x599.jpg

The next thing would be the DOM?

[img][/img]Colt38Super008_800x599.jpg
[img][/img]Colt38Super009_800x599.jpg
[imgColt38Super007_800x599.jpg][/img]

Gun has some sort of target sights that have been installed. The front extends about 2" from the muzzle and the rear is fully adjustable.

[img][/img]Colt38Super016_800x599.jpg
[img][/img]Colt38Super015_800x599.jpg

Here are a couple of pics of the sides of the slide.

[img][/img]Colt38Super014_800x599.jpg
[img][/img]Colt38Super013_800x599.jpg

Also had some very strange looking target grips on it.

[img][/img]Colt38Super017_800x599.jpg
[img][/img]Colt38Super018_800x599.jpg

I am thinking the gun is a 38 Super as the barrel is so marked. Perhaps it is the wrong mag.
[img][/img]Colt38Super019_800x599.jpg
[img][/img]Colt38Super020_800x599.jpg
[img][/img]Colt38Super021_800x599.jpg

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the pix. Those really tell the story, much more than you could have with any typed up description.

Well, the real 1911 experts should come along shortly with a lot more information, but in the meantime, it looks to me like what you may have there is a Colt custom-chambered into .38 SPECIAL, not .38 super. These conversions weren't common, but they were done, mostly for bullseye shooters.

The extended front rib sight is to increase the sight radius for bullseye shooting. You've also got a match-adjustable rear sight. The "weird" grips are just standard non-adjustable bullseye grips with thumb rest and palm shelf.

Note the jewelled hammer and trigger. These are signs of custom gunsmith-type work.

If I'm right about the caliber, you "stole" this gun for only $600.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The good news is, you got a great deal.
    The bad news is, you did not get a .38 Super.

It has most likely been converted from .38 Super to .38 Special (target wadcutter loads only) for the sole purpose of shooting NRA Centerfire. That is where you stand on your hind legs like a man, hold the gun in one hand and shoot at a target 50 yards away.
    The grips are made to be supportive of that one hand grasp.
    The extended front sight is for a longer sight radius for a precise aim.
    The adjustable rear sight is so you can zero for your ammunition, grasp, sight picture, and range (You also get to shoot rapid fire at 25 yards, 5 shots in 10 seconds.)
    The magazine only holds five rounds, that being all you ever need in NRA Conventional Pistol (bullseye) target shooting.

The sights are the type made by John Giles of Odessa, Florida (since deceased) and presumably the gun was converted and accurized by him, since I have never heard of him selling parts separately.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Colt's S.N. dates to 1960 when these conversions were most popular, i.e. before Colt brought out their own .38 Special, and S & W started selling the Model 52.

Don't understand how your dealer could possibly sell it as a .38 Super, with all the custom work that's been done to it though.

If you can verify that it's a Giles full house conversion, it could be possibly worth big bucks to a collector.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello The first three posters are correct . I am 99% sure this pistol is a John Giles Converted 38 SUPER to a 38Special Bulls-EYE pistol I currently have 6 of his pistols . John was one of a hand full of master pistol-smiths from the 1950's"-1970's and beyond. The barrel chamber was sleeved to work with the 38 Wadcutter this is a flat nose bullet with the front end flush with the end of the case. This is the only ammo that will work. This was before the days of factory built custom guns each Giles pistol was built by hand by him before match grade parts were available. . IMHO you did very well, you paid somewhere between 50% and 75% of what it is worth. ENJOY
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have just checked the sight rib & in very small print is the Name John Giles .45 shop, Odessa Florida
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't Jim Clark, Sr do the same thing, the extended front sight is something fairly common I suppose? Much as I like a 1911 in 38 Super, paying $600.00 for this thing in 38 Special seems like a "well done" also. I'll bet it's accurate as hell.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Jim Clark did more work on .38 Special conversions than most other gunsmiths of the day. But he was not the only one, as this great Giles shows. There was one gunsmith, Shockey, maybe, who did a full accuracy job and left the gun in .38 Super. Thing is, he bushed the chamber and rechambered for the case mouth headspacing now considered standard. He said it was as accurate as a .38 Special and more reliable feeding.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The mag isn't 38 Super.
    I believe your mag only holds six 38 Spls because of the rim stackup.
    If you tire of shooting midrange 38 Specials,
    I suspect a 38 Super mag, spring and barrel will revert it back to Super with a question mark for the extractor which can be changed.
    You have a convertible on your hands.
    There are also 9mm barrels and mags for the 1911 so you've got a few possibilities there.
    Since you have that extended sight, theres a guy in Alaska that sold me a 6" 9mm barrel for the 1911.He had four. Mine will eventually get rechambered to 38 Super/9x23.
    He may still have some. Email me if you need info.
  • melkormelkor Member Posts: 191 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a 20 to 22 lb recoil spring and a 9 x 23 barrel and have some fun with a real round that feeds properly and isn't downloaded to wimp levels.
  • NJAuditorNJAuditor Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Clark accurized 38 Colt. It is a 38 Super that was converted by Clark in the 60s to 38 wadcutter. I have had it in storage for years. I used it when I was a target shooter, shooting .22, .38 and .45. I quit target shooting quite a few years ago and just want to see it gone. If anyone is interested, I would be willing to part with it for $300.00. It would be my FFL dealer to your FFL dealer.
    Thanks
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If it does not work out with Kopperl double click on my user name and send me an email I will take you up on your offer. Karl Camp Perry 1972-2005.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NJAuditor
    Interesting story. . .deleted by me.

The board doesn't permit offers to buy or sell in this forum, so you can expect this bit to be deleted shortly.

Since you left no contact information, if you'd like to discuss this privately by email, feel free to contact me via the the board email system (click on my username, then use the contact form).

"Beantownshootah"