In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help w/ shell casing safety and sale

MikeMcMikeMc Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
edited May 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1909 75mm empty shell casing...

Do I need to be concerned with primer safety? The primer appears to be intact and shows no signs to me of being fired. However, the only thing I know to look for is a dimple similar to a typical rifle cartridge.

Thanks.

As an aside, it is 75mm diameter, 9" long, rimmed brass casing with markings "st" "GG 38" "GG 63" and "AUG 1909". There appear to be three rings of marks left at the mouth of the casing (from crimping?). Any insights to identification are welcome.

Comments

• Options
    oscat271oscat271 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I had any concerns, I would spray in some wd-40 and let it soak the
    primer. Leave shell base on a piece of board so if any wd-40 soaks
    past the primer, nothing below will be damaged.
    However, there are far more dangerous items in my house and I do not
    deactivate them.
    I have a live primed 37mm case that is almost 100 years old and so
    far it has not caused any problems.
    I would ask buyer what they would like as the time for payment to arrive is sufficient to soak the primer.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds nice
    Might be a electric primer (I know they had electrics in WW-2, not sure about WW-1) and those don't show "dents" when fired.
    Either way, I would simply pack it so there's no chance of the primer getting struck and ship as normal.

Why is everyone so paranoid about anything bigger than a 45cal? Sheesh, I've had 88mm inert rounds mailed (legally) to my house from Europe.

For the ID, go to http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/miltech.htm than scroll down to the Data Tables link. Once there go down to the 75mm section and open it. I give you the direct link, but Tony has done a lot of nice work on his site and it's worth a look around the rest of it too. http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/ammotable8.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link I did not find mine. Mine is 75x228R with 91mm rim. Perhaps it is a cut down blank?

There wasn't anything even close to 228mm length.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Let me cross post the basic information onto another website

It might also be a 3" navel case (those usually have a "anchor" in the headstamp however)

I'll e-mail you with the address of the cross post, so you can see any answers there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Let me cross post the basic information onto another website

It might also be a 3" navel case (those usually have a "anchor" in the headstamp however)

I'll e-mail you with the address of the cross post, so you can see any answers there.

Thanks! No sign of an anchor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    CORRECTION.

It's a 77mm, not 75. Not sure how I got that wrong. Sheesh.

Based on the resource provided, I think it is a 77x230 with 91 rim.

Thank you very much.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what another gent (on the referred forum) came up with also. He also had a little extra information for you.

quote:If the three crimps are pretty much continuous around the mouth, then I think it is probably the 77 x 230mm R case used in some WW1 German guns. The headstamps certainly appear to be German/Austrian.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    FYI: the 77mm shell is now for sale. 77x230R 91mm rim 1909 German.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=168222927
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew someone who asked a welder to pop a 50 BMG primer in an empty case.
    It went off and shot the welder through the leg so respect live and possibly live primers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I knew someone who asked a welder to pop a 50 BMG primer in an empty case.
    It went off and shot the welder through the leg so respect live and possibly live primers.

Yes indeed. Good advice. I treat it with extreme care.