In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with JC higgins 583 12ga

alfordapalfordap Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a bolt action 12ga made by JC higgings. I need the screw that threads into the receiver to keep the bolt from coming all the way out when you cycle the action. I found a place that has a few parts for this shotgun but I dont know the "official" name of this screw. Can anybody help with a name of the screw, or where to find the screw.

Don't let the MAN get you down.

Comments

• Options
    CountryGunsmithCountryGunsmith Member Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its called the 'bolt stop screw'. I have one available at $1.20 plus shipping.

Scrappy Doo sleeps with the fishes.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you were not already aware, the broken screw is the cause of the recall:

HIGH STANDARD/J.C. HIGGINS
    MODEL 10,
    12 GAUGE BOLT ACTION SHOTGUN

AND

SEARS
    MODEL NUMBERS: 583.13, 583.14, 583.15, 583.16, 583.17, 583.18, 583.19, 583.20, 583.21 AND 583.22

RECALL: The model of shotgun may be subject to a BOLT FAILURE. When this occurs the bolt will dislodge from the action, striking the shooter causing serious injury. These shotguns were manufactured for and sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co. during the 1950's.

Call (800) 817-9165 for identification verification. Instructions for the return of the bolt and refund of $160.00 will be provided.

Source:

American Rifleman, April 1998; page 24

http://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls 3.htm#High Standard/JC Higgins/Sears
  • Options
    74cuda74cuda Member Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Save the price of the screw, send the bolt in for the $$$ and buy something else....

"In God We Trust........All Others Go Thru NCIC"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Why would this screw have anything to do with a bolt failure? It simply keeps the bolt from comming out when you open the action and pull the bolt rearward. On a more modern rifle this is done with the triger i.e. you hold the triger dowy to remove the bolt from the rifle. Instead this shotgun uses a screw to retain the open bolt. when the bolt is closed it is retianed by locking lugs not this screw. Incedently I had to drill and retap the screw hole and custom make a screw to fit flush with the receiver and so solved my problem.

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by alfordap
    Why would this screw have anything to do with a bolt failure? It simply keeps the bolt from comming out when you open the action and pull the bolt rearward. On a more modern rifle this is done with the triger i.e. you hold the triger dowy to remove the bolt from the rifle. Instead this shotgun uses a screw to retain the open bolt. when the bolt is closed it is retianed by locking lugs not this screw. Incedently I had to drill and retap the screw hole and custom make a screw to fit flush with the receiver and so solved my problem.

Lawyers wrote the recall language--the failure of the screw is considered the "bolt failure." Some people had the shotgun shouldered and were sighting down the barrel while cycling the action--the screw snapped and they got an eye full of bolt. Once Sears became aware of the incidents (I'm not sure if they actually had lawsuits) they decided it would be cheapest to buy back the bolts and make all the shotguns inoperable rather than risk the possible lawsuits they might end up facing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That makes more sence.

• Options
    Ky BobKy Bob Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this is a old thread but I just bought a Higgins 583.20 and only after researching about it found out about the recall. Is Sears offering $160 or $50? I've read about the different figures from other internet sources.
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I think it is $50 dollar now if that much. You might get more out of it on the auction side, people do collect those things.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contact sears and find out...
    www.sears.com
  • Options
    deputydog214deputydog214 Member Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sears no longer pays out on the recall. As far as the cause for the recall a guy went to jack another round, the screw had fallen out, and he smacked himself in the eye, breaking his eye socket and bruising. He sued Sears and won. Thus the recall.
    Install another screw, watch it and enjoy.