In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

250-3000 Savage model 99 take-down

thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Will any 250 savage ammo work in this rifle?

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO!

You need to find the twist rate of the barrel. I have a 1-14" twist in mine and it won't stabilize 100 gr. bullets. I need short 90 gr. bullets or shorter. Length is what stabilizes bullets. But, in a given caliber with bullets using the same ogive, length and weight generally move proportionately to one another.

So, if you have one of the 1-12" twists you can stabilize up to 100 gr. spitzers or possibly up to 117 gr. round nose bullets. If you have the later version and have the 1-10" twist you can stabilize any bullets out there.

Here's a website that may help a bit:

http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

Search in there a bit and it tells the years of manufacture and types of variations during some of those years.
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends on what you mean by "work". Sandwarrior is spot on relative to likely accuracy results with various twist rates.
    That said, assuming your 99 is in good mechanical condition; properly headspaced and hasn't been abused with too hot hand loads, home smithing, etc., it should shoot any modern .250 ammo safely.
    If you're not sure, have a competent 'smith check it out then start the always fun game of finding out what your specific rifle likes to eat.
    Enjoy.
    p.s. You have a great rifle. Sold my 99/300 Savage years ago but will pick up a .250 in a heartbeat when the opportunity presents itself. If a take down, all the better![:D][:D]