In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

muzzleloader conversion to breechloader

Rick SellarsRick Sellars Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have a Springfield 1861 muzzleloader converted to a breechloader. I think it is a Roberts Conversion. In my estimate it is in very good to fine condition. I have read that this conversion severely weakened the wrist area of the firearm and this particular rifle has had a tremendous amount of stock work done around the wrist. It appears almost like a puzzle that has been put together. Does anyone know if this stock work is original to the initial conversion or a later repair because the stock cracked? I have read that the state of South Carolina purchased 5,000 of these, circa 1869 - 1870. I would guess this is part of the purchase (since I found this gun in SC). Is there a way to determine if this was part of the SC militia purchase and can anyone tell me if this rifle has value above and beyond an Allin muzzleloader conversion in like condition?

Comments

• Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There should be no visible stock work:
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=222536892

Flayderman's Guide lists value range of the Roberts conversion as $950-$2250, and of the Allin as $1500-$3500.
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help you too much, except to say that a firearm made by the National Armory (Springfield) or by one of the large manufactures during that time (in your case the Providence Tool Co. of Rhode Island) should display the highest quality of workmanship.

So, nothing about the gun should show that Bubba got within 100 yards of it.

Johnny
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would be best if you could post quality photos of your rifle. This would be the best way to assess potential value.

Instructions for posting photos on this forum, are at this link.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294

Note, in the auction HRF referenced a similar rifle that didn't sell, probably because of the rifle had been cut down. Any antique firearm that has been altered or reworked after leaving the factory would have it's value negatively affected.