In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

looking for some suggestions

russ735russ735 Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
OK guys, here's the deal. I have a winchester laredo in a 7mm Rem. mag. I am looking to build on the action and use the H.S. stock. I would like something in a 6.5 cal. but am really limited to a .264 win. mag. due to the .532 bolt face. Nothing wrong with the .264 just want a little more barrel life. this will be a heavy barrel "do all" gun. Long range Varmint, Target, whitetail and what ever else looks like it needs shot at. Just wondering what you guys would build. I have the barrel selection narrowed down to broughton, bartlein or kreiger. This is my first build and want something new to play with. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5 WSM.

Or have the bolt face welded then cut again for the .473 boltface and re-hardened. Or, buy a new bolt from PTG. Not sure which is cheaper.
  • Options
    shootersgunsshootersguns Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5 remington mag.
    less powder than 264 close to same ballistics. Check out Ken waters Pet loads
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing wrong with the 264 Winchester Magnum. If you take care of your barrel, and don't take it to a prarie dog shoot, get it hot, and run it dirty, it will last as long as the 7mm Remington Magnum. You can always down load it too. I would keep the same barrel contour, but add another 2-4 inches of barrel. I would strongly reccommend the Bartlein barrel, in the 5-R configuration, with a 1 in 8 twist.

Best

EDIT 1

Sandwarrior,

Sorry about that, as we often agree. If they had a standardized version like a 264 WSM on the shelf, I would say possibly. But due to the fact his rifle is already chambered for 7mm Remington Magnum, it should have very little if any feeding issues with the 264 Win. Mag. Going to the WSM case, I am sure the follower, and rail geometry would have to be worked over too. I do agree, that the 6.5 WSM would be one hell of a round if it were to be standardized, and even as a wildcat. I do have a Browning A-Bolt II that was a 25 WSSM, and I rebarreled it to 6.5 Heaton(like a 6.5 WSSM)...we have to almost fight over it in hunting camp, to see who is gonna have the first honors of the year. It actually performs on par with my beloved 260.

But all said an done, I see no reason for our original poster to turn a blind eye to the 264 Win. Mag., when the stallion is looking him right square in the face.

russ735,

If you can stand it, I would go with a 28 inch tube, and get everythng that 264 has to offer.

Best
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    russ735
    tsr1965 nailed it. Build the .264 win mag. Limit your groups to three rounds, and cool. Clean often. Great cartridge. HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I agree, the 264 is a great round, just use your head. Go with a 26" barrel, the 264 doesn't work well with shorter barrels.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. So... stick with a 26" tube and the same contour? I really dont mind carrying an extra pound or two.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    okay, stick with the .264 Win mag...the rest of the guys hurt my feelings....by not saying what I said.[}:)] You do know I am kidding[:D]

Seriously[:D], not a bad choice at all. A lot more mainstream than the 6.5 WSM versions.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks again guys. I am on the right track now. This should be fun. Now... optics...[:D]
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by russ735
    Thanks again guys. I am on the right track now. This should be fun. Now... optics...[:D]

I might mention the Vortex Viper PST. I have not tried one yet, but am going to. There are several folks on here who have, and say they are the real deal...including aour well respected moderator Nononsense.