In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Identification of Mauser Broomhandle pistol

coltranecoltrane Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
A Mauser pistol located in Peru..bears the serial number 27867, lacking magazine and trigger. I am trying to identify the year as I was told it was pre 1900 which I doubt as I note that these were Turkish issued guns. Also some indication of current value in the United States market would be greatly appreciated. The serial number is clearly marked in two places,27867, on the side and at the back of the hammer, where the last three numerals are also duplicated above, i.e 867..see the last photo.
[EDIT]
Do that again and you are GONE!

dsc08691p.jpg

dsc08692i.jpg

dsc08693q.jpg

dsc08695s.jpg

dsc08698c.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apparently made in 1900 or 1901 from http://www.g6csy.net/c96/database.html

I won't guess a dollar value for an incomplete gun in a different country.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I am not a C96 expert but it looks like a run of the mill Flat-Side Commercial pistol, probably made in around 1900. It is not a Turkish contract pistol as those were all Cone hammers and did not have the later flat-side frame. In it's current very poor condition and with the missing parts (the parts that we can see, who knows what else is wrong with it) it is not worth much; maybe a couple of hundred bucks.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Concur. Also, there's got to be a reason the lockwork either can't or isn't slid into the frame. I'll bet the bore looks like the surface of the moon..am I correct in that assumption?

$200.00 USD maximum.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    I should also add (in case you have some ideas) that despite it absolutely horrible condition and missing parts; it was produced after 1898,is considered to be a firearm under US law and must be properly imported into the USA. The cost of doing this would quite likely match or exceed the actual value of the pistol.

When you find a mint Turkish Cone Hammer you come back here and let us know!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for he comments guys, very imformative as always. Sorry if I broke protocol.I am new to the site and simply had no idea, it won't happen again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will have a look at the bore I assume you mean that the lockwork is not in the frmae correctly because it is rusted and therefore the bore would be the same?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I believe that you mentioned previously that you had access to other old firearms. I have to be brutally honest and tell you that if the other guns are also missing parts, non functional and in the same type of poor condition they are basically paperweights and have little or no value as firearms.

The $40,000 number for a C96 that you were throwing around last month is only for the very rarest variation in absolutely pristine condition. You need to find guns that are virtually perfect to get that kind of money.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes i undertstand, I am just getting into this world. I have always been a big fan of guns since childhood and was a keen hunter etc in New Zealand. I was not throwing around the figure of 40,000 it ,was just that I saw the figure in another site and was intrigued that a gun could be worth that much. I am just trying to get some help to understand the guns I am dealing with.. Here in Peru there is a lot of enga?o )swindling. This gun is still a beautiful thing and I currently trying to take it apart to check that the bits are correct because it appears that the hammer is locked in a horizontal position and i cannot see why
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have to say I am a little confused about a few things as i have been reprimanded here . Are my photos welcome here? I am really not sure? I am just trying to get some expert information because I am trying to help a spanish speaking friend who seems to have access to a lot of old guns. I would like to learn more, how to restore etc. conserve guns and mainly make sure that she not buying fakes etc. I hope to be able to begin a collection of guns also. I appreciate the help i have recived so far.

Offers to buy, sell or trade ANYTHING are specifically prohibited in this or any of the Gun Broker forums; hence the [EDIT]. I guess it totally slipped your mind what you originally wrote. The posting guidelines which you acknowledged when you came on these broads clearly spells this out.
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/PostingGuidelines.asp
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Typically questions on Ask the Expert lock at 10 replies. Before that happens, this is a link to some information on the Broomhandle, including assembly/ disassembly instructions. Good luck.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/pistolc96broomhandle/index.asp