In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Winchester 100 in 308 cal.

wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
Got a family option on my dads old 308 Winchester 100...
Its beat up from being bounced around for years since his death.
May be able to pick it up for $200 with two 4 rd mags and a box of old loads.
Its from the 50's or early 60's and probably will need to be shipped to Winchester for the recall on firing pin.

Would you go for it?

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. Be advised the gas system on those needs cleaning after shooting. Parts are getting hard to find. Pre-64 or post 64? Rifle was made 1961-1973. They were never precision long range rifles, but decent hunting rifles.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Absolutely! I would not let something like that have a chance to part ways with my family. A little TLC, and get it back in running order.

Best
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    just to note, you do not 'ship to winchester'. all they (Olin) do is supply a new firing pin and cam. Check with a local gunsmith, they should do this for nothing (they get $20 to change it). It might be a good time to have it cleaned as well. You can also send the old pin in and they will replace it but the 100 can be 'tricky' to reassemble.
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Mike W,
    Thanks for that tip on going to a smith for it!
    Et all thanks for the good feedback...
    W
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two of these and they are about as accurate as many bolt guns...about 2.5 inches at 100. Given their light weight and comfortable carrying, they'd be likely to go hunting with me.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd jump on that without it having been family let alone my Father's! That is a very, very reasonable tag. If it's been my Father's or an Uncle's I'd pay much more.

If you are going to use it, sounds as if you need not worry any about marring a pristine finish.

I've had one in the .243, for years that I just gave my son. It'd been used and used long and hard. It is no beauty. Taken more game with it than all my other exploits combined.

Warning about the rear site if it is like mine ... secure it where it will not accidentally flip down or forward. Otherwise it will save a lot of game from you and your bullets! Always had that happen in the field, not on the range.

I may have been unusually lucky, but at 100 yards the accuracy is as decent as many out of the box bolt action rifles that I've had in the past.

It can be a quick handling brush and woods rifle. With a decent scope, I've taken many Blacktails and Mulies. Off season I'd keep current on ground squirrels and jackrabbits, in similar terrain and style of hunting, for deer season and such.

I agree with you. Have a good gunsmith do a total cleaning and update. You will be happy that you have it squared away and ready to go, whether you use it a lot or not at all.

(( For me ... I'd suggest maintaining rather than "redoing", some folks want them to look ... different than they are ... reblued, refinished, restocked, all changed about ... for me ... I'd keep as close to how it appears now as reasonable. JMH&HO To each as they wish. ))

Usually don't get a second chance in securing a family keepsake or heirloom. Can not tell you how I'd feel if I had ever managed to acquire any such thing from one of my Grandfathers, cause that never happened!

Good luck to you. Let us know how it goes.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a .243 carbine, two .308 carbines, one .308 rifle, and a .284 rifle of the Winchester model 100. I guess you could say I'm kinda partial to them. Heck of a deal.... (see my user name)

...and yes I would go for it.

All good advise above, and the only part I have seen people have trouble finding are barrel bands for the carbine version.