In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

tape on guns

rocketdropperrocketdropper Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited June 2011 in Ask the Experts
I recently bought a shotgun that has had the old camo tape on it for the last 10 to 20 years. Can the finish be saved? whats left and what is the best way to remove it?

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lighter fluid like Ronsol. Peel the crap off. Paper towel with a squirt of lighter fluid and lt it sit a bit. Then rub and push in to it's self and not spred. The goo should get a bit gummy and ball up. A fresh patch of paper towel with lighter fluid and repeate. It shouldn't take more than two/three tries.
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rocketdropper,

yoshmyster has it exactly right. For your information: lighter fluid = charcoal starter. You will need a lot of patience, too.[;)]
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used WD-40 to soften and remove old tape and bumper stickers, spary, WAIT, scrape w/ plastic tool, repeat as needed.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good luck using believe it or not baby oil and / or the WD 40 which each tend to penetrate the adhesives used and allow it to free-up or break the hold or bonding with the metal, synthetic materials and even with wood. When it gets through to the mother surfaces, it works better than not.

Seems to work most efficiently when generous amount is applied and allowed to penetrate through to the underlying surface.

Have used the lighter fluid on other projects, but as yet not for this purpose. I twould and does work of course.

Good luck with your project! Maybe you will let us know how it progresses for you?
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BigLoop22
    For your information: lighter fluid = charcoal starter.lighter fluid = charcoal starter = Coleman fuel = white gas.

They're all naptha.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hardware store has two chemicals you will find. MEK and Zylol. Both are used as paint additives/cleaners and there secondary use is for removing sticky film from adhesive. We used both at work to remove the sticky after we pulled labels off products. MEK is nasty, I'd start with Zylol(Zylene).

Keep it clear from any wood finish that you don't want to mess up. Prolonged exposure on painted wood surface will damage the finish.
  • Options
    rocketdropperrocketdropper Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for all the advise I will post before and after pics soon...
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kero diesel etc all cuts the gum as well.
  • Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a much safer product for this purpose: D'Limonene. It is sold at art supply stores under the brand name of Grumtine. It is made from citrus peels and it will immediately kill the adhesiveness of almost any adhesive used on labels and tapes, and will not hurt ordinary gun stock finishes. Simply wet the label or tape with a drop of D'Limonene and it will lift up immediately. For gummy residue on a surface, dampen a rag or paper towel and wipe down the surface.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or even lemon grass extract works well. I avoid most naptha based solvents (and wd40) because they can on occasion alter the way the wood refinishes. I've seen a couple stunning stocks that took a fair bit of correction to blend a contaminated area. I've seen some stocks with actual chemical burns from excessive MEK flooding. I know lots of cabinet guys that love these chemicals so maybe its a luck of the draw thing.
    Either way I hate it when nice wood gets covered up.