In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Official Police Value?

gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
I was just offered a Colt Official Police in 38 Special with a 6" barrel. Bakelite grips and a lanyard ring. The owner claims 1953. It is mint. As new without the box. I'd say the cylinder was almost never turned if at all. It appears unfired. Any thoughts on value based on my description?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Photos are usually needed to guestimate a value, but you did a great job describing it.

I would jump on it at $500, & think long & hard at $600.

Neal
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand the pictures! There was no chance of it today. He's asking $750.00 and I'm only considering it because of the condition. Truly 99%+
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will not bother to look up production figures but this is one of the most common Colt revolvers. The 6" barrel is not so common as the 4".
    The lanyard ring is very unusual. The longer barrel and lanyard ring should make it somewhat desirable to a Colt. Collector.
  • Options
    FUUN063FUUN063 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What Herschel said. Also, I would consider it as well or maybe trade something with some cash to get it. I paid about $450.00 each for the ones that I have (around ten years ago or so)and they are in similar condition with no box and same barrel length. Boxes bring a premium when found.

Leland