In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

GUN COST

BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
Are guns going out of sight? I have been looking at 44 Colts and S&W. Forget about it. Also Dan Wesson is a bit higher than I think is reasonable. I never thought I would, but I looked at the Raging Bull series. They are very reasonable. Are they worth they money? Looks like the lockup at both the front and back of the cylinder. True?

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you purchase a Taurus anything, keep in mund, that you are getting what you pay for. The reason they are reasonably priced, is that nobody will pay a S&W, Colt, or even Ruger price for them. Also keep in mind with the Colts, that they do not make them anymore, and it is a very collectable name brand, as i Winchester(the original of course). Keep in mind too, that once you get the Taurus, you will be lucky if you can get rid of it for half of what you paid for it...and you will want to get rid of it.

Best
  • rscoleman88rscoleman88 Member Posts: 4,250
    edited November -1
    I disagree I've had and do have quite a few Taurus wheel guns. I've NEVER been dissatisfied.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iam not sure what your definition of "out of sight" is, but yes, guns are not cheap. You will pay a premium for Colts & Smiths, as they are very collectible and even more for guns that are no longer in production.

Auctions are a pretty good place to look for out of production guns, but there is always the buyers premium to add to the cost. The premium varies from auction to auction anywhere from 10% to 18%. Since your looking for a .44 Colt or Smith I assume a double action since Smith does not make SA cowboy guns. Check your local gun shops for consignment guns periodically, what your looking for may show up there.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess that the perception of price rise has something to do with perspective. I paid $89.95 for my first new in box Ruger Blackhawk .41 Mag IN 1967!! I paid $102.xx for my S&W Model 19 as my duty revolver in 1972. Then I look at what I was making then and the prices today don't seem quite as bad. As for the Taurus, I have only had one; it was a Raging Hornet and had a cylinder/barrel gap you could spit through. They would never address it and I dumped it.
  • 260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    i am with you, i have 3 of them and not a minutes problem. and yes, i shoot mine almost daily.and mite just get another.[^]quote:Originally posted by rscoleman88
    I disagree I've had and do have quite a few Taurus wheel guns. I've NEVER been dissatisfied.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quality never goes out of style. You get what you pay for. If you know what to look for used can be a good bargin.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lately I've noticed that the asking prices for many handguns have sky rocketed. The only thing I can attribute it to is the forthcoming election, and the fear that if nobama get reelected we will be faced with another gun panic worst then the last one.
  • llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is all relative.

In the late 1800s and early 1900s, you could buy a used but good shooter Colt SAA for a $20 gold piece.

Today, that same gold piece can be sold for enough to buy a used but good shooter Colt SAA.
  • BamavolBamavol Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please note, I never said that Colt or S&W are not worth it. I have owned both and fully understand that they are a quality gun. Also I know that both will hold their value. Some may choose to look down at Taurus but I see that S&W is now folloing their lead on the Judge series. I like what they did alone with titanium too. If Colt and Smith are not careful they will wind up like detroit when the Jap cars hit. However, none of that was my question. I just wondered if a Raging Bull 44 mag. would fall apart or give good service. That's all.