In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Didnt Winchester Make One Similar To This?

COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
edited March 2012 in Ask the Experts
...Ok experts, I need your help...because Im not..[:D]

This is a Remington Model 81, did Winchester make a model very similar to this one?
pix595446080.jpg

If so...Model______?

I know the furniture on this one has been redone but the wood is all even or above all the metal, so wasnt sanded too much.
BUT..the forend stock doesnt look quite right to me, and Lord knows I know didly about these guns...thats why the questions..[:D]

The angle at the back of the forend down to the receiver, is that factory original?

I know a lot of rifles back in 19-0-poop, had a Schnabel forend and/or the Beavertail like this one has, the golden years for those two types...did SOME of the forends on the Model 81 evolve over the years of production...or were they ever offered with a different forend stock than this Beavertail forend, ever offered or come with a Schnabel forend, or was the Beavertail forend the only style for this model?
pix487727341.jpg
pix181575787.jpg

Offered w/Factory Peep sight?

Im getting a strong itch for one of these excellent condition...in 100% FACTORY original condition, no extra D & T holes or changed sights...and in a Cal that ammo can be found, doesnt have to be cheap, just avaiable somewhere.

So far Ive seen .25, .30 and 300 Savage...anymore calibers?

Thanks in advance guys...and I dont know squat about these...but have liked 'em for a long time, and no time like the present for a really nice one, just need to know what one in 100% ORIGINAL condition looks like for SURE..thanks again...[;)]

Comments

• Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im no expert but Winchester came out with a Model 1907 .351 selfloading rifle at about that time. Thats a beautiful rifle in your pictures.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by COLT

I know the furniture on this one has been redone but the wood is all even or above all the metal, so wasnt sanded too much.
    BUT..the forend stock doesnt look quite right to me, and Lord knows I know didly about these guns...thats why the questions..[:D]

The angle at the back of the forend down to the receiver, is that factory original?

I know a lot of rifles back in 19-0-poop, had a Schnabel forend and/or the Beavertail like this one has, the golden years for those two types...did SOME of the forends on the Model 81 evolve over the years of production...or were they ever offered with a different forend stock than this Beavertail forend, ever offered or come with a Schnabel forend, or was the Beavertail forend the only style for this model?

I think the Model 8, predecessor of the Model 81 had a schnabel forend. The one shown looks normal for a Model 81.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "I think the Model 8, predecessor of the Model 81 had a schnabel forend. The one shown looks normal for a Model 81.".........+1 these also were made in .35 rem......the only cals. avaiable now are the .300 sav. and .35 rem.........this rifle uses a 'short' recoil system similar to the browning a-5 (long recoil system), winchester never used this system in a rifle.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    I had a typo..35 rem NOT 25...happy fingers.

Thanks to all.

I FINALLY found a site that had the answers to my questions.

They made a TRAIL model that has a short barrel with Lymans peep, sweet!!

Ill check out the Winchesters, thanks ya'll...[;)]
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Winchester built the model 1905 in 32 or 35 Winchester, the model 1907 in 351 Winchester and the model 1910 in 401 Winchester. All of them looked alot like your Remington model 81.
    The 401 was popular with black bear hunters here in the Cascade mountains of Washington.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Remington Model 81 (and predecessor Model 8 with straight grip) is a recoil operated John Browning design. Calibers included .25, .30, .32, and .35 Remington, plus .300 Savage.
    The .25, .30, and .32 were comparable to the .25-35, .30-30, and .32 Win Special; some early .30s were even marked ".30-30 Remington" even though the rimless cartridges were not interchangeable. The .35 Remington was not up to the .35 Winchester but provided a bigger bullet than the others.

Winchester had the 1903, 1905, 1907, and 1910 blowback autos designed by T.C. Johnson, who did a lot of good work for them after they broke up with Mr Browning. The .22, .32, .35, .351, and .401 Winchester Self Loading rounds were straight cased cartridges suited to the blowback action.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Screw on the rear of the receiver, that doesn't seem to do anything, is where the rear receiver peep sight goes.

So, if you find an OEM peep, and wish to keep the screw with the gun..

..take the screw, and place it in some tape, ball the tape up, and place the screw into the channel for the takedown lever (channel in forearm).

You'll know. Once you remove the forarm, you'll see. Joe
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    The Remington Model 81 (and predecessor Model 8 with straight grip) is a recoil operated John Browning design. Calibers included .25, .30, .32, and .35 Remington, plus .300 Savage.
    The .25, .30, and .32 were comparable to the .25-35, .30-30, and .32 Win Special; some early .30s were even marked ".30-30 Remington" even though the rimless cartridges were not interchangeable. The .35 Remington was not up to the .35 Winchester but provided a bigger bullet than the others.

Winchester had the 1903, 1905, 1907, and 1910 blowback autos designed by T.C. Johnson, who did a lot of good work for them after they broke up with Mr Browning. The .22, .32, .35, .351, and .401 Winchester Self Loading rounds were straight cased cartridges suited to the blowback action.

Precisely correct... the Remington Model 8 and 81 are much superior designs to the Winchester Models 1903, 1905, 1907 and 1910.