In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CETME question

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
What type of Cetme rifle should I buy? There are many out there and I've heard that some are not so good. Please tell me of your experiences. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    anyone sick of me asking CETME questions yet?[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I recently got a ?CETME? that is somewhat unsual. Now, everyone knows an actual Spanish made CETME is a fairly difficult thing to find to the average owner but the rifle i have is almost all orginal (besides the receiver). The wood, magazines, flash hider (it?s not the pinned, CAI one), barrel, and trigger housing are all original CETME but on the receiver it says ?CAI Sporter.? The CAI Sporters I have looked up don?t look the same nor have the same barrel length (this one is 17.7 inches compared to the 18 inches CAI). I?ve read where early models of this rifles used original CETME parts but were made somewhere else besides the current CAI place in Vermont. Basically, what is this? I bought it from a family member that has had it sitting in his safe since the early 2000s. Is worth more than a regular CAI one because of the original parts?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    talked to a guy today that has a "heffy cetme hk clone" in 308.
    dont know much about these rifles. he wants 400.00. according to the limited info i found, it seems like he's asking too much. it has wood furniture...i have not gone to look at it yet until i get more info.
    anyone knoy a little more??
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    got rid of that stuff and stuck with FAL's[;)]
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    No, but so for you have been doubting or questioning every answer to your problems and thus far every answer has been the correct one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    No, but so for you have been doubting or questioning every answer to your problems and thus far every answer has been the correct one.

That's me. The skeptic. You haven't figured that out yet[?]
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    [i

You should have been more skeptical, be fore you bought that turd.

I don't know how much you have in it, and I don't care. I wouldn't be putting any more into it though. Sometimes it's better to cut your losses to make the best of a bad situation.

I got stuck with one of CDNN's Sig Trailsides couple of years back. It was a money pit and a half. Never could get it to shoot. Finally got so discussed got rid of it with a substantial loss. Swiss craftsmanship my a*s!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    [i

I don't know how much you have in it, and I don't care. I wouldn't be putting any more into it though. Sometimes it's better to cut your losses to make the best of a bad situation.

I got stuck with one of CDNN's Sig Trailsides couple of years back. It was a money pit and a half. Never could get it to shoot. Finally got so discussed got rid of it with a substantial loss. Swiss craftsmanship my a*s!

I've only ever had to get rid of one gun that wouldn't function properly. don't plan on doing it again.

I bought it knowing the risks and having faith in myself and the collective knowledge of the GB membership and all my gun nut friends.

I've not been disappointed so far (except in my lack of patience.)

I've only had it a couple of days and I think I've discovered the root of the problem. If I'm right, all I'm out is a little time (that led to much learning about the gun, always a valuable thing) and no money.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [i

I've only ever had to get rid of one gun that wouldn't function properly. don't plan on doing it again.I bought it knowing the risks and having faith in myself and the collective knowledge of the GB membership and all my gun nut friends.

I've only had it a couple of days and I think I've discovered the root of the problem. If I'm right, all I'm out is a little time (that led to much learning about the gun, always a valuable thing) and no money.

You should follow some common sense here. Dump that thing, and get a real rifle, like an AR-10, or the updated CETME clone, the HK 91. For what it is worth, it sounds like you have a CAI built POS. You still have not answered that question I asked in a previous thread, of who was the builder.

Look at it in this light if you will...if you buy a pigs ear, that is what you have, a pig's ear. If you cover it in silk, do you have a silk purse? No, you still have a pig's ear...you always will have a pigs ear, untill you get rid of it, and get what you are looking for...unless you really wish to have a pig's ear.

Best

EDIT 1

The PTR is just another clone/copy. Although, they supposedly have better parts, and workmanship, there has not been a lot of word on here about them. So, yes theyare hopefully better for the higher price, but I wouldn't put my eggs in that basket. The M1A, is ok, if you wish to shoot nothing hotter than the 7.62x51 NATO Ball ammo, like commercial 308 Winchester sporting ammo. if you do shoot anything hotter, you will eventually end up in the same boat, with a bent op-rod.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    [i

I've only ever had to get rid of one gun that wouldn't function properly. don't plan on doing it again.I bought it knowing the risks and having faith in myself and the collective knowledge of the GB membership and all my gun nut friends.

You should follow some common sense here. Dump that thing, and get a real rifle, like an AR-10, or the updated CETME clone, the HK 91. For what it is worth, it sounds like you have a CAI built POS. You still have not answered that question I asked in a previous thread, of who was the builder.

Look at it in this light if you will...if you buy a pigs ear, that is what you have, a pig's ear. If you cover it in silk, do you have a silk purse? No, you still have a pig's ear...you always will have a pigs ear, untill you get rid of it, and get what you are looking for...unless you really wish to have a pig's ear.

Best

Thought I answered it: yes, it is a Century.

I'm strongly considering dumping it if I can get a good price and upgrading to a PTR or M1A if I can get a good deal.

I'm not giving up on it quite yet though. [:I]
  • Options
    binky59binky59 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [i

I've only ever had to get rid of one gun that wouldn't function properly. don't plan on doing it again.

I bought it knowing the risks and having faith in myself and the collective knowledge of the GB membership and all my gun nut friends.

I bought a CAI CETME about a month ago for $400 private sale.
    What I found:
    Head space was tight, so I got a set of +4 rollers, headspace is good.
    Felt tight, so I cleaned and polished the FCG, bolt, carrier, and inside of the receiver.
    Went with an HK recoil spring and rod, ( light buffed the nylon grommet on the end)
    HK aluminum mags work great.
    This thing runs like it's supposed to CAI or not, I also lightened the trigger to about 7-lbs, and went back to the original walnut wood stocks. Shooting 308 silver bear 145 grain into teacup groups a 200 yrds with iron sights. Thats all I need for the yotes. Hey you can spend the bucks on an AR10 and shoot a little or pick up one of these and spend the money on ammo.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by binky59
    [i

What I found:
    Felt tight, so I cleaned and polished the FCG, bolt, carrier, and inside of the receiver.
    Went with an HK recoil spring and rod, ( light buffed the nylon grommet on the end)
    This thing runs like it's supposed to CAI or not, I also lightened the trigger to about 7-lbs, and went back to the original walnut wood stocks. Shooting 308 silver bear 145 grain into teacup groups a 200 yrds with iron sights. Thats all I need for the yotes. Hey you can spend the bucks on an AR10 and shoot a little or pick up one of these and spend the money on ammo.

Like I have said before...if you buy a pig's ear, that is what you have a pig's ear. You can cover it in silk, and it does not become a purse, it is still a pig's ear.

I am sure I saw where there was a post on this thread or one related to it, to the effect, that any of the CETME's from CAI are most likely needed to be fooled with. That goes pretty much for the quality of MOST things built by CAI, including, but not limited to their CETME's, and AK-47 clone's.

Most of us would rather spend a few extra dollars, and have it built right the first time, rather than say I purchased a pig's ear at a bargain, then spent "X" amount of $$, and time and made it a pig's ear that works.

Hope this makes sense.

Best
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsr1965
    quote:Originally posted by binky59
    [i

What I found:

Like I have said before...if you buy a pig's ear, that is what you have a pig's ear. You can cover it in silk, and it does not become a purse, it is still a pig's ear.

I am sure I saw where there was a post on this thread or one related to it, to the effect, that any of the CETME's from CAI are most likely needed to be fooled with. That goes pretty much for the quality of MOST things built by CAI, including, but not limited to their CETME's, and AK-47 clone's.

Most of us would rather spend a few extra dollars, and have it built right the first time, rather than say I purchased a pig's ear at a bargain, then spent "X" amount of $$, and time and made it a pig's ear that works.

Hope this makes sense.

Best

It sure does crap is crap no matter how much you try to cover it with perfume.