In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oil saturated patch stuck

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
Hi guys. I have a patch stuck in my rifle (deep in the breech of a Mosin Nagant). It is saturated with oil so I could not burn it out with lighter fluid. I have no idea how to get it out. Does anybody have a suggestion?

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a tip with a screw type end blackpowder users deploy for stuck projectiles.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    pull the bolt out and push it out???
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take your cleaning rod and a patch jag, pull the bolt and from opposite end push it out
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would help if you were more clear about the problem. I'm guessing that you were trying to pull an oiled patch from the chamber to the muzzle and it got stuck making the transition from chamber to bore. Pounding on the cleaning rod sticking out of the muzzle with a soft mallet should work. Sharp raps are more effective than railroad spike sinking swings.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used a brass rod to remove one in a similar situation. brass will not harm steel.
  • Options
    poshposh Member Posts: 360 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep sections of quarter inch wood dowel sawed to various lengths to drive lead sinkers through Mosin barrels to measure the diameter. They are cut to various lengths so they are well supported by the barrel and can be swapped out to reduce the number of pieces in the barrel. I tap them with a rubber mallet. Depending on how deep in the breech the obstruction is, you could probably just use a single 36" piece of dowel. And as my old daddy used to say- "Light taps beat the devil".
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just fire off a round. [:D] [:D] [:D]
  • Options
    fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter
    [:0]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by duckhunter

No, but if you reload, a primer with no powder ought to dislodge it.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    In case we have any newbies out there (and for GB liability concerns): A few members were giving us all an April Fools joke. Never attempt to remove an obstruction from a barrel by firing a live round.