In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hopkins & Allen Blue Jacket #2 Value

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
My Flayderman's book lists a few similar H & A models but not this one. 5 shot, 32 rimfire, Heavly engraved (not roll engraved), excellent plastic grips w/ a molded dog's head, seems operational but loose cylinder, nickel seems good but I don't know if I should try to polish it. I've only had it for an hour. If anyone is interested to offer an opinion, I'll try to get a pic posted.

Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Photos are always needed to assess condition, and any abrasive polishing will decrease value.

And Hopkins & Allen used several "brand name" markings on identical guns; there are Blue Jacket #2s with square grips, birdshead grips, wood grips, hard rubber grips, etc. You should be safe using the pricing guides Flayderman lists for the CZAR model.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,423 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/cbxjeff/?action=view&current=DSCN0602.jpg][http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/cbxjeff/?action=view&current=DSCN0601.jpg]

I don't know if these pic will show. If not, someone please help. I had other format options from photobucket.
    edited November -1
    Standard H&A type engraving and dog's head grips. Listed without engraving in 1884 catalog of N. Curry, San Francisco @ $4.00.

Same gun in .38 caliber listed as the XL No. 5 @ $5.00 plain or $6.50 engraved.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply hrf. Did you find the totally round barrel odd? All my books show a half octagon. Do you feel that this was factory engraving as all the engraving I have found was rolled? A good horse was available in 1884 for $4.00. I was trying to find a current value.
    edited November -1
    As I posted earlier, the value range of $135 to $225 that Flayderman lists for the "Czar" applies, as it's basically the same gun with a different name. This is not considered high quality engraving, regardless of how done. And there are more of this type with full round or full octagon barrels than with half and half.
    edited November -1
    Thanks hrf. I failed to look up Czar so I didn't see the prices. I'm doing this for a friend that found it in a hidden basement room in her grand-fathers's basement. For $200., I'm going to suggest that she keep it as a family relic.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbxjeff
    Thanks hrf. I failed to look up Czar so I didn't see the prices. I'm doing this for a friend that found it in a hidden basement room in her grand-fathers's basement. For $200., I'm going to suggest that she keep it as a family relic.

Good choice!