In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Beretta Model 92

rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a slightly used Model 92, 9mm. It is identical to the military version with the exeception the rear sight has two dots, rather the M9's one center line. My question how can I tell if the gun I own is the "modified version". I heard Beretta started having problems with the slide coming of the back of the gun during recoil, the fix was a simple one. But how can I tell if my gun has this feature?? By the way, it is a great shooter. Thanks in advance.

Alleno

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I having an unusual issue with my Model 92 FS lately. Each time I've taken it to the range for the last four trips, I've had one round out of about forty fired that has kicked back a lot of gas and powder residue in my face. Each time, just one. My loads are a little warm, using a Lee 7cc dipper of Blue Dot under a 124 gr. FMJ bullet. Been using it for years with no problems and even had a Ruger technician tell me it was OK a few years ago when talked to him about the P89 used to have. Any thoughts? Am I dealing with an ammo issue or a gun issue? Can't see where it would be the gun but never had a problem with this load in over 20 years either.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Prove it with next trip using factory loads.
  • Options
    thorhammerthorhammer Member Posts: 956 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 92 does that...seems the excess oil pushes out of every opening and spits back at me[B)]

I like to keep my guns oiled.[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just found the offending case. About a 1/4 inch blowout in front of the extractor groove. Case is a surpuls case with NATO and WCC markings. Maybe I've just reloaded it too many times. Will try some loads with new brass and some factory ammo.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could also try backing off on your powder load a bit. There is no benefit to pushing the limit on a 9mm. It isn't going to make any difference on whatever it hits. Might as well use a load that is more reliable and less punishing on the gun.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would suggest not using a dipper for powder measuring and use a powder thrower and scale instead. Its too easy to over charge when loading a small capacity case like the 9mm. Using load data from your book try loading a little below max loads, easier on the gun and cases.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to what's already been said, the Beretta in particular has an aluminum frame that is known not to hold up well to diets of potent 9mm loads.

That's another good reason to keep the loads moderate.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check your dipper consistency with a digital scale. You'll be suprised how far off you can be, even when you're careful. With small cases and near max loadings, that tiny bit can be the difference between a blown case and a safe load.
  • Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    In addition to what's already been said, the Beretta in particular has an aluminum frame that is known not to hold up well to diets of potent 9mm loads.

That's another good reason to keep the loads moderate.

I'll add that cracked locking lugs are also an issue with 92's and M9's subjected to these type of loads.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9x19 factory loads are so cost effective...

Why bother with reloading for the 92fs?
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Dipper" and "a little warm" do not work well together.
    The Lee .7 dipper is rated for 8.1 gr Blue Dot.
    The Alliant MAXIMUM is 7.9 gr Blue Dot and a 124 gr bullet.
    A .2 gr overload is not much in the great scheme of things, but a well worn piece of brass can, DID, cause trouble.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks all,

Will likely trash cases earlier and reduce my load. The 92 is a relatively new acquisition. Got away with this load with my CZ 75 and P89 for many years but it's obviously time to back off a bit. FWIW, that Ruger technician I mentioned earlier told me European made guns are made for hotter loads so the Italian built 92 suprised me with this problem.