In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 Auto powder

rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited April 2003 in Ask the Experts
What is a good powder for 230gr. hardball and 230gr. lead. I'm not much "in the know" on pistol loading.

Comments

• Options
    rchawkrchawk Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi rordog,
    I have been using Winchester Western 231 Ball powder in my 45 loads for about 25 years now. 4.6 to 5.0 grains for 200 grain SWC and up to 5.6 grains for 230 grain RN or FMJ.
    I tried Unique but found it and 1400 too dirty.
    Good luck and happy reloading.

Hawk

I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I also use a lot of 231, but I also load a lot of the old standby Bullseye. I use 4.6 to 5.2 gr. depending on which 1911 style gun I am shooting. If I am shoooting a Glock or H&K, I stick with jacketed bullets and go to a slower burning powder. I normally go with 8.2 gr of AA5 Accurate powder and a 230 gr bullet.
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    Winchester 231 Is my powder of choice! Between 5.3 to 5.5Gr for lead 230 Gr target ammo and I load 230gr JHP with 6.1 Grains using +P brass.

6.1Gr is the upper limit and max for 230Gr JHP .45ACP, so work up to it carefully.

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
  • Options
    rchawkrchawk Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There you go, WW231 looks like the powder of choice. Hey Matt, sounds like a pretty heavy charge of Bullseye for 230 gr. bullets. Don't you like to reload your brass more than 2 or 3 times?
    Also, I ment 2400 powder, not 1400.
    One more reason for WW231: I use it for 38/357 reloads with 158 gr. cast bullets and 44Mag reloads with 225 gr. and 240 gr. JHP and SJWC bullets.
    Good Luck

Hawk

I would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6!
  • Options
    Matt45Matt45 Member Posts: 3,185
    edited November -1
    quote:Hey Matt, sounds like a pretty heavy charge of Bullseye for 230 gr. bullets

Rich-I don't use Bullseye for .45- I'm strictly a Win231 fan. But you're right, 6.1Gr is a bit much for Bullseye, that's about 975FPS in 200Gr lead bullet, about a +P+ in a lead 230Gr(That would be up around 940FPS).[xx(]!!!!!!!

I have .45 ACP brass that has been re-sized and re-loaded 8 or 9 times, no case stretching observed. This is mostly because I load 5.3Gr's (Avg's about 775FPS with lead 230Gr, about 815FPS with lead 200Gr) and use that as a target load.[:D]

fm_cr.jpgcomp45.gif

Reserving my Right to Arm Bears!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always preferred 5.2gr of 231 behind a 230 gr hardball. Recently found myself running low on 231 and my dealer was out.
    I've been wanting to load some light shotshell loads for my grandpas old L.C. Smith. So thought I'd try Unique or Green dot but he didn't have those either. Ended up picking up a pound of Universal Clays. Loaded up some 32/20 cowboy loads tonight. I'll probably load up a box of 45's sometime this week. As soon as I get a chance to shoot them I'll report back. Hopefully the dealer wasn't just telling me what I wanted to hear. I was leaning towards Unique because of it's versatality, being usable for handgun, shotshell, and cast bullet rifle loads. We'll just have to find out how good Universal is.

Woods
  • Options
    pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester 231; use it in .38 spl, 357 Mag, 44 Mag, .45ACP, 45 Colt, 40 S&w, very versitile, been using it for 24 years.

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • Options
    rordogrordog Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. I've been using W231 (cause that's all I had), looks like I have been doing right all along.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I have been useing CLAY powder, manily because I use it in my shot gun for shooting Trap, It's very clean, works for me.
  • Options
    buckdeerbuckdeer Member Posts: 260 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might also consider hp-38 by hodgdon i've been using it for sometime and have no problems with it