In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning model ?

jdmt1984jdmt1984 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a Browning bolt action 270 cal rifle that's about 40 years old and made in Belgium. The only numbers on the gun are what I think is the serial number, 54030 L69. The bolt appears to be a mauser action stainless steel. The rear sight is a flip down adjustable, the front is hooded. There is gold scrolling on the trigger guard and magazine cover. The stock is checkered on the fore-end and grip and has a raised cheek rest. Any idea what model this gun may be?

Comments

• Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have a Browning FN High Power Safari grade rifle. The L69 means 1969 manufacture I think. Great rifles with the exception that Browning had a "salt problem" in trying to quickly cure some of the stock wood and some of the rifles exhibit bad pitting where the stock contacts the steel. An easy way to tell if yours has the problem is to take out one of the screws on the butt plate. It will be very rusty if it has salt. Or, take the stock off the action and you'll see right away if there's a problem. I have two from about the same timeframe and neither has the problem. They're very good quality guns and the Safari grade in 98% or so condition is worth around $800 to $1000 in the standard calibers. Even if yours has the salt problem its still fine to use.