In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1896 Krag rear sight screw

pworley1pworley1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
I have a 1896 krag that had had the rear sight removed. I now have a correct sight but no screws. Can some one tell me the thread pitch for the rear sight?

Comments

• Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    These nice folks carry a lot of Krag parts and probably have your screws on hand: http://www.ssfirearms.com/ You can call them and they'll tell you if they have them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information.
  • Options
    OcelotZ3OcelotZ3 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't find them let me know. I might have some sitting around from my father's collection.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information on finding the screws. I need to chase the threads in the holes because they were filled with something, maybe just dirt, over the years with the sight off. Can someone tell me the tap that I will need to use?
  • Options
    I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    pworley1:
    You can take a wooden dowel and screw it in the hole, maybe a small piece of a little paint brush handle. It may clean the dirt out and will give you the thread pitch.
    Check the marks on the wood with a pitch gauge, it'll also give you the approximate diameter.
    It's possible that I or another screw hoarder may have a tap and screws lying around and will lend you the tap.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information. I will give that a try.