In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for Bert

ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,663 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Hi all,
I'm looking at a Model 94 30/30 cal. The serial number is: 3920253
Can anyone tell me the year of manufacture?
Thanks, Tom

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Approx DOM for Winchester M-94 S#45923xx
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This pic was posted over on GD and I was wondering about the Winchester. This was outlaw Ned Christie and that rifle of his is housed at the Fort Smith National Historical Site.

Anything you can tell us about 1873 serial 264933?

2po7blw.jpg

EDIT:

quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Christie

I'm aware of the story of Christie. I was able to obtain the serial number, so it's details of his rifle I'm curious about.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see you are taking a survey on the Models 94,55,and 64.Are you taking any info., on any of the old Winchester shotguns. Thank you, Bill
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hi Bert--I have a question about this Winchester I've owned for a while--you helped me with the serial number before(I couldn't tell if the first digits were 1's or upsidedown 7's or L's)--I don't belive the stock is the original one as it is different colored than the forearm and it is a carbine stock--I know a few rifles came with carbine stocks, but I just doubt this one. What do you think? It's a decent shooter and I baby it with light loads-paid $375 for it at an estate sale back in 1997.
    gun007.jpg
    gun005.jpg
    gun004-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd like to pick your brain Bert . Can you tell me if the 12 Ga. Model 12 , and the 16 Ga. are built on the same frame ? The reason I ask , is because we'd like to have a butt stock to shorten , to make the old 16 , fit my 8 year old Grandson ! He did Manage to bag his first Turkey with it this weekend though , as is .

Thanks for you time sir !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bert;
    Need an education on a Winchester model 94 in 356 Winchester. Years made? An oddity to collect? Relative worth? Have a buddy at the shop wanting me to take it off his hands for a song and a prayer along with two boxes of ammo. Your advice is always greatly appreciated.

Paul
    Mountain Magic Gunsmithing
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello ruger41,

You are correct... the buttstock on your Model 1894 Sporting Rifle is not correct or original. That said, you did not do bad on the price. If you can find an original Sporting Rifle buttstock for it that closely matches the color of the forend stock, you could improve the value and collectability a bit.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert!! although it is not the correct buttstock it is much more comfortable to shoot than my friends '94 of the same vintage with that crescent stock. I know this rifle was used to kill deer for camp meat for loggers in CA back in the 1920's so maybe someone broke it back then. Again thanks for the help!
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are most welcome. Shoot that old gun often[^].
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Side question, and I don't mean to hijack..but ruger41 may wish this info also..

..casting bullets for the [soft steel] 'old timers'..what's a good lead alloy mixture to use? Would straight linotype or wheelweight be OK as is? Or should the casting be accomplished using pure lead? If not, what's a good, barrel firendly recipe? Thanks, Joe
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,996 ******
    edited November -1
    ANY NORMAL ALLOY WILL WORK FINE, LYNOTYPE IS AS HARD AN ALLOY AS MOST CASTERS WILL FIND, WHEEL WEIGHTS WORK WELL ALSO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I do reload for pistol--just got dies for the .30/30--but I don't cast my own bullets-i'll have to buy them--I WAS using PMC Cowboy 170gr loads but PMC isn't making them anymore--they were a wonderful light load with barely any recoil and they were reasonable on the price. I see them offered on GB from time to time but at prices that are triple of what I paid. I will have to try Black Hills or Ultramax Cowboy loads.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The harder (more % linotype) the bullet, the less leading at higher velocities.... I use a 3: 1 wheel weight : linotype mix in my .454 at relatively high velocities..With a gas check, I get almost no noticeable leading... Hope this helps...
    JIM...........