In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best way to spend?

seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Since "George" has printed some more money and is sending a check I would like to have your opinion as to how I should spend it.

The two choices I have are:

Colt Ace as new in box with all papers probably $1,350. or

Smith & Wesson Model 41 with 5" and 7" Barrels as new in box probably $950.

I know guns are really not investments but I do believe they are a good hedge on inflation.

Which is the best choice?

Comments

• Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    your on the right track.personally i invested mine in ammo, whiskey and m.r.e.'s so when all the truckers shut down on account of high fuel costs the two hundred and fifty million starving people roving the country may not present as big a problem as they could have if i was hungry and unarmed.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy the Ace and don't shoot it. You will have an inflation hedge with that purchase.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dollar for dollar, probably a toss up but if you may want to enjoy shooting this as well, I'd say go with the Smith. Better gun, more accurate, etc.
    Just hope you aren't like the poor dude who made the front page our local paper. He and wife were anticipating the maximum pop; modest income, taxes paid every year, no alimony in arrears, etc.
    They each got $40.00.
    p.s. Or, if you get the ACE, let me know where the Smith is! [:D]
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ===
    The $40 payout is a mistake that they can appeal. It was based on an error they made last year by placing an amount in the wrong field on the tax form. The IRS is supposed to have written a program that is going back through, identifying those returns that put the amount in the wrong field and sending additional checks to bring the payout up to the right amount.

What to do, what to do???

Give your wife her share to spend and you buy the Colt Ace by selling off one of your other toys.
  • Options
    surekillsurekill Member Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colt Ace as new in box with all papers probably $1,350
  • Options
    shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had both. Don't own a gun that I can't shoot. I just like the feel and accuracy of the 41. The only thing I have that will out perform it is a Browning Medalist. The Medalist is a very fine pistol.
    With the two barrels, that seems to be great buy.
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would pick the one you like best. I think both will go up in value. Colt .22 have seem to be going up in price. I've been watching the diamond back's. Even the troops in 22 have been rising. The key is original and quality. They will always bring a good price. I have a friend that is a deal. He's always told me it's easier to sell a quality gun for top dollar than a well used gun at a bargain price.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by seb1999
    Since "George" has printed some more money and is sending a check I would like to have your opinion as to how I should spend it.

The two choices I have are:

Colt Ace as new in box with all papers probably $1,350. or

Smith & Wesson Model 41 with 5" and 7" Barrels as new in box probably $950.

I know guns are really not investments but I do believe they are a good hedge on inflation.

Which is the best choice?

You are incorrect about guns not usually being investments. They invest in our 2nd amendment rights, and as far as financial investments go, the right firearms beat the Stock markets blue chips, and most real estate in percentage wise. Standard firearms investing is hard to beat Colt's and Winchester's. Especially the older ones if one has an acquired taste to know what to look for.

Some real men and women take the investment serious enough to start a trust for class III weapons where legally allowed. The price tag on transferrable Class III weapons in the last 10 years has tripled, if not quadroupled. An M-16 10 years ago could be had for3-4 thousand in really good shape. Today they are going for 12-16K.
  • Options
    seb1999seb1999 Member Posts: 343 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for your encouragement and good advice.

I won the auction for the S & W Model 41 w/ 2 barrels here on GunBroker but "chickened out" and the Ace went for $1,390. on the "other auction".
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ace.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.