In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old Colt revolver

clickclick Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
i have an old colt revolver that looks alot like a model 1901 but ther are some differances. the trigger is slightly different and the grips have a round brass pony emblem. there is also no sling loop on the butt.it is in 22lr and i have a serial number. i would like to find the value but am not sure of the model. can anyone help?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently aquired at an estate sale, an old Colt revolver.. I believe it is .45 cal.. It has a 7 1/2" bbl.. on the frame it has patent date of either 1873 or 1878... can anyone give an idea of what it may be... sorry, I dont have camera capabilities.. thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I PUT THIS IN THE WRONG FORUM SO i REPOSTED IT HERE. SORRY FOR THE ERROR.

My brother-in-law just bought an old revolver at a garage sale for $100. It appears to be a Colt Army 44 cal cap & ball. On the cylinder it has "Colt Pat # Sep 10 1850. The serial number is 45767. The trigger guard is brass and the rest is blued and appears to be in good shape. We wondered if anyone on here could tell us about how old it is from the serial number and what it might be worth. It is an original, not a reproduction. Thanks a lot.

Mike S.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,697 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a Single Action or Double Action [?]

If it is a Single Action, then depending on the age, the cartridge marking should be stamped on the left side of the barrel near the cylinder frame. There should be an address stamped on the top of the barrel. There should be several patent dates on the left side of the cylinder frame below the cylinder. There should be a serial number stamped at the front bottom of the cylinder frame (at a minimum); and on the bottom front of the trigger guard frame and bottom front of the grip frame (depending on date of manufacture).

If you can't provide pictures, then if you can tell us exactly what markings are on the gun, especially patent dates, we might be able to help you.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello With no more information and no pictures any Idea from us will Be just a wild * guess. I suggest you look at the home page and go to revolvers then search on colt until you see one like the one you have,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    okay, here goes.. there is no cal. stampings anywhere... i put in a .45LC and it seemed to fit perfectly.. the patent dates are a little hard to read but it seems it is 1873 or 8 and then maybe 1879.. i can make out Colt on top of the bbl and then a city and probably state,but cant read it for sure... the grips are wood.. the ser# on bottom of frame in front of trigger guard is the same # as on the bottom of the grip frame.. the number i thind is 87xx... sorry i cant tell u more..
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Click, this is a 1st Generation Colt Single Action. Does it look anything like this one?

Is it a Single Action or Double Action?

PB Picture removed.

• Options
    edited November -1
    yes it does look like that one cept it has wood grips.. and it is a single action
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If it truly is a Single Action and has a 4 digit serial number (87XX), that would place it's DOM in 1874. If the various stamps are that hard to read, it might have been buffed or is very worn. It would really be nice if you could borrow a camera and take some detailed photos and we might be able to help you more. There is very little that can be determined without more details.

Is it really a 4 digit serial number?

Edit 1:

Also, if it is serial number 87XX, check for a US on the left frame side. If it is a US issue Colt it possibly went to Troop "C" or "K" of the 8th Cav.

Edit 2:

Are there any stamps inside the hammer slot?

Again assuming you have a standard Colt Single Action made in 1874 it would have left Colt with a 7 ? barrel and wood grips. It would not have the cartridge stamp on the barrel, but it would have a small caliber stamp on the left rear trigger guard. There will be a bin number stamped on the inside of the loading gate and a corresponding (same) number stamped on the bottom of the cylinder frame, but hidden by the trigger guard frame. The cylinder base pin should be held in by a screw in front of the cylinder frame, not the traverse pin. The serial number 87XX should appear in the three places I mentioned earlier.

As far as the patent dates, an 1874 gun should have the following on the left frame flat:

PAT. SEPT. 19, 1871
    PAT. JULY 2, 1872

If it was a US issue Colt it would have "US" stamped on the left side of the cylinder frame flat just to the rear of the patent dates. There would also be inspector marks in several places on the gun.

You can also get factory information regarding where your Colt was originally shipped, when it shipped, and its original configuration. Here is a link to Colt's Archive Services. From there you can get to the list of available services and the price list, which is from 2005, but as of late last year these prices were still good. Prices are high, $100 for a Single Action Army, but nice to have even if you do not plan to sell the Colt.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/historical.asp

If you don't mind sharing, what is the complete serial number [?]

• Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ===
    Don't shoot the gun or try to clean it,,,,yet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Old=Colts... yes, there is U S stamped on the left side of the reciever... stampings are about an inch apart..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Click, without seeing a photo of the Colt and markings I'm reluctant to pronounce with certainty the specific model and configuration of your Colt. I'm a little confused by your statement about the Patent Dates and the "US" stamp being about an inch apart.

With that said it sounds like you have a Government Issue Colt Single Action manufactured in 1874. If so, it would have been inspected by Government sub-inspector Orville W. Ainsworth and you should find a small "A" on the cylinder, barrel, triggerguard, and backstrap. The "A" should appear on the front of the triggerguard, just below the serial number on the triggerguard. Also, the grips would be marked as well with the OWA cartouche.

US issue Colt's in this serial number range have an interesting provenance including the 8th Cav, New York Militia, and a few other documented recipients.

This tread will lock by forum rules after 10 (possibly plus a few) posts. So, if your questions are not completely answered, please start a new thread and reference this one. Without knowing the full and exact markings on your Colt and some detailed pictures, I can't take my assessment any further. Colt, inspector, and assembler stamps will be found on several locations on the gun along with the serial number on the frame, triggerguard, butt, cylinder, and barrel. If your gun is complete, and I do mean complete as it left the factory, then you could have a real prize. We would be happy to help you confirm originality, but at this point we need pictures and more information. If a US issue Colt, besides confirmation from Colt, the Springfield Research Center has been able to locate records on their issuance to specific organizations.

• Options
    edited November -1
    old-colt... i really do appreciate your info on this gun... i am going out of town for a bit and i will try to find a way to get pic to you on this.. again, thank you
  • Options
    edited November -1
    click, you're welcome. Look forward to seeing any pictures you can provide!