In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25 WSSM

busch 3busch 3 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Is a 25 WSSM a good round? How longe range is it? Is it accurate? What is a good gun for it?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can anyone direct me to reloading info for the 25 wssm? I have a Hodgdons manual, but most of there loads are H- powders,(immagine that)I would like to see something with Dupont or other powders.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    like to hear some feedback from anyone that has shot one! thanks jurdan
  • Options
    edited November -1
    About to buy a 25 wssm. Wondering what would be a better rifle the Winchester model 70 coyote or the browning a-bolt? Thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When will the rifle be available and who will make it? As always thanks for your replies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have in info on loading 25 WSSM or now does it group
  • Options
    fishmastyfishmasty Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wssmzone.com & www.hodgdon.com
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Win 70 Super Shadow with a pencil thin barrel. I get 3/4 to 1 inch groups (almost always with the first two touching) if I keep the barrel cool. This is with 44.2 gr of W760, Fed 215 primers and 120 gr speers (flat base or boat tail). I don't have a chronograph but I estimate the velocity at about 2870fps. Mine likes a sqeeky clean barrel. The groups will spread out to about 2 inches after 15 or so rounds. This may also be influenced by heat.

My Speer book shows H414 and W760 (41 gr-45gr) producing the best velocity with 100gr and 120gr bullets.

There is alot of info on the Competition Shooting and Reloading forum on this site or at http://wssmzone.com
  • Options
    vdms55vdms55 Member Posts: 297 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hello b3, for what it's worth i had a mod 70 .223 wssm chrome lined barrel that would not shoot from a clean barrel after about the second round no matter what i loaded, and i tried almost every powder and bullet conceivable. i finally contacted browning/winchester and with the sales recipt they refunded the purchase price and paid all shipping or they would have given me credit towards a new a-bolt, my choice. if you're having trouble getting yours to shoot this might be an option.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Model 70 Ultimate Shadow Stainless in 25 WSSM. It was a POS out of the box, but with some TLC it has grown into one of my favorate rifles. It loves all the Premium factory loads with the accubonds, and ballistic tips. I have assembled a load with a BARNES 100 grain XLC that it really likes too.
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a browning a-bolt stainless which started life as a 223 wssm. The groups I was getting were 3"-4". I tried everything! Different bullet weights, seating depths, powders, and still nothing. I then bought a winchester coyote barrel in a 25 wssm), had it rethreaded and, WOW! I now get sub half inch all day long. .21, .24, .33.
    The load I use is IMR 4831 with 45.5 grains of powder,with a 85 gr. nosler bullet. I also tried IMR 4895, IMR 4064 and IMR 4350. But IMR 4831 grouped best for me. (P.s- what was my most hated gun has become my favorite!). Just my .02
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a a-bolt hunter with the small and short, 22", barrell. Shoots very well, my favorite deer rifle, so lite. Shoots sub MOA if you keep the barrel cool. I shoot 117 SSt and IMR4350, also liked Speers 120 spbt a lot. And it shoots 87 gr Hornady with IMR 4320 very well as well but I don't push those very hard, mid load with Hrdy book.