In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Golden Rod?

chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
HI, Well I bought a Golden Rod and I'm not so impressed. I left my container of Damp Rid in the safe just because I had it. I just got in the safe today, the first in about 2 weeks and I see water in the Damp Rid container. I was surprised to see that. I thought the Golden Rod would have eliminated the need for that. The Golden Rod is rated for 5X the cubic ft. that the actual size of my safe is. Is the Golden Rod doing the job it should or are these just bogus????

THANKS

Comments

• Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I one of them in my safe and don't have any problems

I don't know were you are but if you are somewhere were it is 90+% humidity all the time one will not work
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just put the safe in the basement and it runs about 55-60% in that range.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had mine for 11 or 12 years and although I live in a drier clmate now I used to live where it was very wet. It worked great for me. Do you have a vent hole in the top of your safe?
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm mentioned this before here and some members thought I was crazy. I may be, but it's got nothing to do with this post!

The Golden Rod doesn't get rid of moisture. Where would it go? What it does is slightly raise the temp in the safe. Here is how it works.

You open your safe door and your safe takes a big gulp of room air. When you close the door the interior temp rises. That meens that the relative humidity in the safe is lowered since warmer air can hold more water. The moisture is still in the safe but it doesn't condense on the contents.

Your Damp Rid actually pulls moisture out of the air. That's why you see the water. I don't know what Damp Rid is but desicants act like a sponge then need to be recharged by heating in an oven.

Golden rods do work - I have 4 and love them.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is what the vent hole in the top of the safe is for. I agree with you cbxjeff.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    HI, Thanks no vent hole that I know of. They say drilling any extra holes will void the warranty. I guess I will still keep the Dam Rid for my piece of mind!!!(If I have any left)
  • Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most safes have a hidden small hole for electrical access. Check w/ the mfgr. Many times the interior isn't cut to reveal it.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.