In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Model 67 Smith DOM?

westkybandedwestkybanded Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Friend just called to ask if there was any way to tell....

He picked this one up today:

SN: 11K6774
Model 67 no dash
Has "CHP" stamped on the side.

Any idea how old?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Should be 1977 DOM.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the prompt reply!

Any idea what the "CHP" stands for?

He swears it's a CA Highway Patrol gun, and I think he's seen too many episodes of CHIPS!
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 22hipower
    Should be 1977 DOM.

Not sure if CHP is California Highway Patrol or not; maybe a California collector will know. Many police departments marked their guns (e.g. GSP, if I remember correctly, for Georgia State Patrol).
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1977 date of birth is correct. The "CHP" does stand for "California Highway Patrol". There were some model 67's stamped "CHP" but not many. The "CHP" stamping was overstamped "OHB" when the CHP got rid of them.

The model 68 was made for the CHP and also for the LAPD. This model looks just like a 6" model 66 with shrouded ejector rod, but has a slightly shorter cylinder and is chambered for .38 spl only. The 68's were also stamped "CHP" and overstamped OHB when sold.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So, what (if any) difference in value would the CHP stamp have? I saw the gun yesterday, and it's not mint, but in great shape, and locks up tight as a drum.

I think he paid $250.00 for it.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally, stampings such as the CHP dont add any value, but the Blue Book indicates an increase of 10% to the price is appropriate. So you can add $25.00 to what he paid.

Most of the "CHP" stamped guns were overstamped "OHB", as I said before, when they were sold. Both the model 67's and 68's. I have seen, at auctions, a couple that got by without being overstamped.

I would guess that the additional 10% can be attributed to the fact that the gun got out on the open market without being overstamped. Either way $250.00 for a Smith revolver is a good price.
  • Options
    gundogg2gundogg2 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A big bunch of those guns got out on the market, years ago. There was a company, San Diego Police Equiptment Supply that bought department guns and upgraded them to what ever they choose to be there new carry gun. I personally sold Smith 67's, 686's old model 10"s and 15"s that were purchased from them. Some were clean almost un-used, others would have only made good parts guns.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies! Obviously I'm insanely jealous of this fella...