In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

red dot optics

frequentfrequent Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
hi..i have a gunsmith build me and ak for me..i need a red dot sight for 50 to 100 yards accuracy..I need a red dot that is durable.. I have a 250$ budget..any ideas?? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ultra dot from larry's gun get the one with adjustable 4 dot size or Gilmore 35 MM.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    C-more Railway. its got an aluminum body and you can change dot sizes By changing out the diodes, you can have smaller or larger dots. My buddy has got one on his ar-15 carbine, its got a 4moa dot installed and it works well at 50-150 yards.

The Kobra family of red dots are made for the AK rifles and have a side rail bracket built in. Maybe someone here can tell you more about the Kobra and wich model is the newest and best. They are made in Russia and are used by they're military. I used to have one on my AK, it would hold zero when i took it off for cleaning. There is also several other Russian red dot disigns built for use on AK rifles that have built in side rail mounts. You should be able to find the C-more or the Kobra for around 200.00.

Anything made by TRU-GLO is pretty good to, and they have got a 2x magnification model that might be useful for longer shots. I have had no experiance with the 2x sight but I think it goes for about 175 or 200 dollars also.

OKO also makes a sight that i would not look over if you have a solid mounting platform.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    You will have to use a side rail mount to get any accuracy. If you use the top cover mount you might as well just shoot without any sights. It moves around too much, and with any optical device, movement on the rifle is a bad thing.
  • Options
    frequentfrequent Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the gunsmith put quad rail and rail on top of the ak reciever..
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    These are a few links to look at.

http://www.krebscustom.com/PartsPages/KalashnikovParts.shtml#REARRAIL
    http://www.dsarms.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KB045S
    http://www.ultimak.com/BuyAK.htm

the top link is to "Krebs custom" custom ak parts page if you scroll down you will see the "ak rear sight reciever rail system" it is a good option if you rifle does not have a side rail scope base, and dont mind spending that much.

The second link will take you to a good example of the side rail scope mount, I think it is a ka-var design.

The last link will take you to Ultimak ak mount, so you can look at the gas tube AK mounts that they offer. It is also the best choice(in my opinion) if you are gonna put a red dot on your rifle but dont have a side rail scope base.

Its like haroldchrismeyer said, the cheap reciever cover mounts are not very good. They will shift your zero with each couple of shots. Also like he says, movement of your optics base is always a bad thing on any rifle.
  • Options
    pitjeeppitjeep Member Posts: 475 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like my tru glo 2x42