In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is my Black Tip AP .308 ammo worth?

criminalpoetcriminalpoet Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited June 2008 in Ask the Experts
Could someone please give me an idea of what my Black Tip AP .308 ammo is worth per round? Here is a pic of the ammo and thanks in advance!

001-8.jpg

Comments

• Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    ARMOR PIERCING is Black Tip...Date and Arsenal of manufacture will be on Case Rim...Value...? Here in the Peoples Republic of California..IT COULD BE CONSIDERED A COP KILLER...Have No idea what to value it at...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well it has WRA 64 on the rim and a little cross inside of a circle above that.
  • Options
    dgacdgac Member Posts: 694 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It depends. If its not a collectable round I would say .50-.75 a peice. I see that is what the 06 rounds go for with no military box. Personally I would just shoot it. It cool ammo but doesnt like to stop.

dgac
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    criminalpoet,

Before deciding whether or not to sell your stash of 7.62x51 AP ammunition you need to read this page from the ATF:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/legal/armor.htm

Best.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Cross in circle means that it complies with NATO standards as far as weight, velocity, etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link! However from what I have read the information seems to only pertain to lincensed persons or manufacturers being involved in maufacturing or importing, or selling commercially, armor piercing ammunition. Am I wrong? I dont fit into any of the above mentioned catagories as I am just a private non-licensed individual selling private stock. If I am wrong though somebody please tell me lol! I dont want to be breaking the law in any way. I do see people selling steel core 7.62x39 ammo all of the time without incident, and that too is on the list!
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is stranger still is that the definitions in i & ii both refer ONLY to handgun ammunition.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct...... Rifle AP ammo is legal here in Calif, but not handgun AP.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as "cop killer" designations FWIW- there are VERY few makes and models of body armor that will stop ANY 30-06 or .308 catridge fired from a rifle. That includes soft tip, ballistic tip, FMJ, AP, or tracer. Vests were intended for protection from HANDGUN ammo. Remember that .308 or .06 will shoot thru an M113 Armored Personnel Carrier!
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dgac
    It depends. If its not a collectable round I would say .50-.75 a peice. I see that is what the 06 rounds go for with no military box. Personally I would just shoot it. It cool ammo but doesnt like to stop.

dgac

Reloadable brass is cool, the bullet doesn't matter too much unless it's a tracer.
  • Options
    MEMPHISJOEMEMPHISJOE Member Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    As far as "cop killer" designations FWIW- there are VERY few makes and models of body armor that will stop ANY 30-06 or .308 catridge fired from a rifle. That includes soft tip, ballistic tip, FMJ, AP, or tracer. Vests were intended for protection from HANDGUN ammo. Remember that .308 or .06 will shoot thru an M113 Armored Personnel Carrier!

Exactly correct!!! There are some handgun rounds that would surprise you on how well they will defeat a vest. Vests are not bullet proof, just bullet resistant.